XB400 vs. XB600 vs. XB800/X
Mar 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 17
My review of the XB800. 

Comfort: I've never had an uncomfortable Sony, so it was no surprise that the XB800 is very good. One of the better on-ear phone. Nice padding on the headband and the cups are really comfy. It may be a bit warm, but could be great in winter.

Portability: They isolate very well. The isolation is the biggest improvement over the last series. They fold up and can lie flat. Overall excellent portability.

Build Quality: From what I can tell, I have no complaints. They seem well built. A detachable cable would have been nice.

Sound Quality: They advertise what they do. Put two subwoofers straight over your ears, then crank the bass. The bass is good quality and there is instrument separation but the bass is over powering. Sony must have decided to make a good headphone, then decided, nobody wants that, let's turn down everything and crank up the bass. Surprisingly if it is EQ'd it actually sounds really good. I find there is too much bass at the expensive of everything else giving it a slightly veiled sound. I liked the XB500 sound signature much more.

Style: I love the look, but beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.

Overall, sometimes too much of a good thing is just too much. If you love too much bass then these are fine. Personally I would not pay full price for them. I have the XB500 as well and prefer the XB500.

Sep 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 17
First off all sorry for replying to an Old thread,

I just needed to get my views Out regarding the Sony XB400's i bought to today.

Im a Basshead so thus i decided to go for Sony's XB series, Also i'm on a Budget so couldn't buy anything over the XB400's (R490 ZAR) 

First Off, These Headphones is Just Plain sick for the Price Tag !!!! I LOVE EM'

The Bass: These does extremely Well delivering Deep lows, AND no distortion !!!!! i owned A lot of previous headphones claiming they have Big Bass bla bla bla....They were also more expensive, I must Admit i was Sceptical to buy these since they only had 30mm drivers, I dont know How Sony does it , But these baby's Packs a real mean Punch for their size. Also the Quality of the Bass is Extraordinary ! No Muffled sound etc 

I'm not a Treble / Vocal guy - But the Highs seem really crisp to me, even when listening to some Oldies (Johnny Cash) the Vocals has a nice warm feel to them. Also, These can go real LOUD (Thanks to the 24 Ohms) No amp needed at all

Comfort - I'm not a fan of ON EAR headphones, Prob cause i owned a Pair that hurt me After an hour or so, But !!! OMG Sony hit the comfort spot right on here, Can't believe these On ear XB400 is so comfortable, had them on for 4 hours today without any Discomfort.

I tried the JVC's S4X same Price range, i must say the Bass is on Par with the Sony's But they are uncomfortable as Hell ! after 5 mins in the Shop my ears started to hurt.

If your A Basshead Like my self Looking for - Portability,Comfort, Ground breaking Bass, on a Budget, Bang for Buck. These is Prob the best on the Market for the Price Tag.

Just my 2 cents,

Peace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back