XA777ES SACD Headphone Out AMAZING ?
Nov 26, 2001 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

monk

Head-Fier
Have any of you tried the new Sony XA-777ES SACD Player ? I read a report (see attatched thread) on Audio Asylum's Hi-Rez page of the XA777ES's headphone output being extremely good ...I hope this is the case.

I've tried the headphone out on the former Sony top of the line CD player, the XA7ES and the 333ES SACD player and didn't find them to equal dedicated headphone amps (Cosmic, X-CANv2, Wheatfield HA-1 etc.) . But this user (with HD-600's) is really give top marks to the XA777ES headphone out :

(go down to lornecherry's comments) LINK TO AUDIO ASYLUM THREAD

Anyone with experience to second the comments ?

Martin (monk)

Nov 26, 2001 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 4
What is a Pacette Active Line stage or whatever that is. He claims it's one of the finest headphone amps available, and yet none of us here have even heard of it...most of us here consider the Holmes Powell DCT-2 to be the finest headphone amp there is.

Given Sony actually bothered to put headphone jacks on the XA777ES, who know's, maybe it is better than the norm. The SCD-1/777ES and 9000ES all don't have headphone jacks, which is a bit miffling given their high price range regardless of whether one uses it or not.

Nov 26, 2001 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 4
Placette are known mostly for their passive stereo preamps. Their claim is that they use the best of parts and offer state of the art passive performance . I think their top model can also operate as an active preamp.

Given that only the top Placette has a headphone output, and that it's very expensive ($4K ?) , perhaps it's reasonable that it doesn't get mentioned here ? It could still be good,... .

I have heard nothing but very high user reviews from the Placette passive preamps. The main gripes I hear are ergonomic and not sonic. For example, more care must be taken with system matching, the entry level pre only takes 1 input (I think) and other ergonimic limits ..

I'm not interested in springing for the top of the line Placette, but I'd be happy to hear that the XA777ES was at least very good . This would allow about the most direct access to the SACD quality..., . I won't be sold untill I hear it though because other top level CD players I've listened to haven't had a headphone out to match their regular analogue output ( example, the XA7ES and the 333ES SACD) . With both of these players, the volume pot itself seems to be a limit (volume level changes not precise, chanel balance doesn't seem even from top to bottom, and I'd guess not as transparent as could be) ..and the headphone outs don't have the driving ability of a dedicated headphone amp (neither machine had anything like the ability of the Whetfield HA-1 to drive the HD-600's too loud, undistorted levels ...they're weaker sounding dynamically, thin through the mids and weak at both extremes . They'll play to loud to listen, just not cleanly or with authority (where the HA-1 would play cleanly much louder than I could listen). But, it's not just the volume or dynamics, the Headroom Cosmic II on it's lowest gain setting offered better sound quality (thought this bettered the HA-1 too for quality of sound).

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back