x5 or ipod.... or?
Dec 12, 2008 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

brainiak

New Head-Fier
i need new music player. i've also considered rio karma, iriver h1xx and h3xx, but as they're hard to find, so my choice is limited to x5 and ipod.

all i care about is sound quality, all the other features are unimportant. so which one has better sound?

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 14
that is not easy to answer. the x5 has a more lush sound but is far from impressive in holding up a clean signal and has more bass roll off and less stereo separation than the ipod. it is however warmer sounding which has gained a good reputation among portable audio enthusiasts.

both have a line out but the x5 has a very poorly adapted line out that actually performs worse than about any headphone output on any player.

the x5 has file support for open source files which the ipod does not. size of course is much in favour of the ipod and battery life and accessories.

both are good. you will find probably that most of the replies after mine will support the x5. go for what you will need and don't bother too much about the negative comments for the ipod as they are really just a lash out against the bigger company as the ipod has proved itself to be worthy of audiophile ears.

both are good: are you an ogg person or aac? are you an alac person or a flac person? wave? aiff? windows or mac? linux? drag and drop or playlist managing software?

x5 is more manual control friendly and ipod is more assistant friendly.

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes to the iPod for the availability of inexpensive replacement parts and an astounding number of accessories.

I second

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1audioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. I think so.

If in doubt, Google and Wikipedia may be your friend.

i've found contradictory answers, that's why i ask.

Dec 14, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 14
What about creative zen? the most impressive i've heard.

Edit:
Well the creative zen x-fi is one of the most impressive I've heard, having tried all new generation ipods, and zunes, and irivers with same headphones.

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 14
I gave up on Creative after I bought the Zen Neeon 2.

It was disgusting - the sound quality was reminiscent of that in an ultra-cheap iPod ripoff. (Not Meizu)

The Creative Muvo TX FM is by far one of their better flash players. It uses a SigmaTel DAC like the one used in Apple's first generation iPod Shuffle.

Dec 14, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 14
go for the ipod... you can always rockbox it later if needed.

Dec 15, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 14
You can't rockbox the new iPods...
The last iPod supported was the 5.5 g
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back