X5 Line-Out Question
Aug 18, 2006 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Altoids

Banned
Is there a way to enable true line-out capability in the X5? I planned on getting a Samuel's Hornet until I realized I couldn't live with the unreliability of the dock. Should I give up my prejudices and just get an Ipod? I need something rockboxable, but I don't like Apple's SQ, especially after the X5.

Aug 18, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by biged
Doesn't Ken at audiolineout.com make one for the X5?

Take care, Ed.

Apparently he does.

Link.

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrazyIvan
You are better off using the headphone out with effects all turned off and a flat EQ. The line out on the X5 is not that great.

Agree, the X5 line out is really not very good, even with a custom connector.

Aug 18, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 8
Can someone educate me ? How can a line out be "not that great"....

Aug 18, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #7 of 8
Spectrum-X5amping.png

For some reason the line out from the X5 has a bass roll off which isn't there when you amp the headphone out. On this image you can see the difference between amping the headphone out against the line out. The green line can't be seen as the output for that is exactly the same as the white line.

I will admit that the line out dock that I used here is fairly cheap and bog standard but I've no reason to suspect that a higher quality cable can solve the problem of the line out inside the X5 itself. As for the the headphone out ... well it works well as far as I'm concerned.

Aug 18, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory

Cool, thanks for the lesson...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back