X5 Lag
Nov 13, 2005 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

atart

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I have had my X5 for over a month now and have been loving this little thing. Havent had any problems with it so far, but lately, about a week ago, something started happening. I turn on the player and scroll thru the songs, and theres isnt any lag, quick response to scrolling etc. But in the past few days, there is a lag between pushing down on the joystick and the screen scrolling. The scrolling is not as smooth as before. anyone know why this is happening? what i can do to fix it? maybe a firmware update?
any suggestions would be great, just trying to figure this out
thanks
cheers

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 10
checked out iaudiophile and found nothing related to such lag

anyone else have any suggestions?

would resetting it help?

thanks

P.S. do they really need defragging?

Nov 13, 2005 at 12:37 PM Post #4 of 10
atart, since this is a 20/30gb H.D it is possible that it would need defragging like any other H.D around. I hope it helps... but anyway you should email iAudio support team...

GL

Nov 13, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 10
i certainly havent filled mine up yet, i think i have about 12 gigs free, what i have been doing is constantly putting stuff on it and then taking it out, very frequently, could this have caused the fragmentation?

thanks

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 10
Why even ask if it could be fragmentation at this point? Just defrag it and you'll know. Easiest way would be to hook it up in windows and defrag it through explorer. I don't think there's a defrag utility in the firmware, but I could be wrong.

Nov 14, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 10
went ahead and defragged it using diskeeper

nothing seems to have changed, but i noticed something else, if no music is playing, then scrolling thru long lists is quick and responsive, if music is playing, then the scrolling begins to lag a little, so i split my lists up and it seems to have helped, though it has not solved the problem
also, if im playing music and a short list is on the screen, the scrolling is smooth, so the problem seems to be that with long lists, the scrolling begins to lag
any more ideas? ive emailed the guys at cowon, should reply in a few days
cheers

Nov 14, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #9 of 10
well that makes perfect sense. The processors in these daps arent really powerful, they're built to handle the basic needs and then preserve battery life. It makes sense that if your x5 is already handling audio that it would be a little more sluggish handling the graphics as well. It could also be attributed to the hdd. If you're playing off the hdd (which you're mostly likely not, should be playing from the cache) accessing it to look at the songs could also be slower. Let us know what the "official" word is, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back