X5 + IEM = Sad Wallet (Suggestions plz)
Mar 11, 2006 at 6:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

-Paolo-

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using KSC75's with this for a while now, and well, I don't like using open headphones in ... well the open.

Now my question to you folks, which IEM goes well with the X5?
I listen to hip-hop, rap, jazz from Coltrane to Sinatra style and Krall. And rock.

I'm looking for something all around and has a good price to preformance ratio.

So far I've read good things about the X5 + E4, but with releases like the UE SP5 and UM1's and so on, I'm lost in this.

I'm seriously considering the E4, but the UM1's seem attractive, but have been getting negative reviews as of late.

So budget = $220 USD or less.

Less would be great but yeah.

Also I was wondering about these prices if they were fair
New E2C = $75 USD (Local No Tax)
Used E3C = $90 USD (Local No Tax)
New E4 = $200.50 (Shipped)
UM1 = $104 + Tax

Any other options would be great.

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 24
I will throw the Etymotic ER4Ps into your mix as well. I love mine with my X5, both amped and unamped. They may be dry or thin sounding to some users but I love the highs on the Etys. The Shures (E2C, E3C, & E4C) sounded too bloated to me in the
lower regions. That is just my opinion and there are many that love the Shures.

take a look at Ultimate Ears as well. www.ultimateears.com

Mar 11, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by -Paolo-

I'm seriously considering the E4, but the UM1's seem attractive, but have been getting negative reviews as of late.

The UM1's are very good IEM's. You need to experiment with the tips and seal to get the best out of them, but they are very wel balanced and provide an easy listen. In your price range, the UE SuperFi Pro's are awfully good; thats what I have now and I'm extrememly pleased. I went from UM1's to SFP 5's and the big difference was detail and highs. They are better with the 5 Pro's, but had there not been a $50 rebate on them, I would have been more than happy with the Westones.

Note: Westone offers a 30-day money back guarantee with no restocking. At least thats what they offered me when I asked - they said they hadn't put it on the site yet, but that is their policy. They are excellent to deal with and gave me abolutely no hassle. EarphoneSolutions.com is also superb, if you go that route on another brand.

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

How about the UE3s? I havne't heard much about them.

People say that the CX300 beats them out with ease. And the CX300's are cheaper too.

Consider the next step up? There's a used Supr fi. 5 PRO in the FS forum. Cheaper than the E4.

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
People say that the CX300 beats them out with ease. And the CX300's are cheaper too.

Consider the next step up? There's a used Supr fi. 5 PRO in the FS forum. Cheaper than the E4.

I almost got the E4's but then car issues came up.

So I'm looking for sub-$120 if possible. Its a figure, I can bend it a bit.

Mar 12, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

How about the UE3s? I havne't heard much about them.

I had the UE3's for about a week, and sent them back. The sound was decent, but they were not comfortable. I'm pretty happy with the UM1's now. Sound is much better IMO and much more comfortable. If you have small ears like I do, UE3's will stick way out.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong

So where are these CX300's available from in BC
smily_headphones1.gif
or ship to Canada actually.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 24
This is so hard.

I'm leaning towards the UM1's but want to aim for the e4's. Cash is such an issue though.

I think I'll be going for the UM1's. But my library is filled with R&B, Hip Hop, some rap. Lots of Prog Rock, and Queen
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 24
^ lol then the UE 'phones are good for you. Many have complained that the Shure E4 and sometimes the E5 have little/no bass. The UE 5 Pro (not the EB unless ur a real bass-lover) seem like just the ticket for you. I love its good bass without comprimising much.

Mar 25, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
Why not a pair of Super fi. 5's?
biggrin.gif

I tried for E4's but. yeah. $240 CDN was the cheapest I could find.

And Sam at Marcopolo.ca was extremely helpful.

Not sure when he's gonna order though, or if he already did...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back