X5 BEWARE
Nov 18, 2005 at 3:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

irvin59

100+ Head-Fier
I bought an X5 a few months ago and loved just about everything about it immediately-sound, build quality, even UI and I have recommended it often on this and other forums. However, 2 weeks ago it just stopped working, completely dead absolutely no sign of life at all. I tried contacting Cowon tech support with no luck and then tried B&H photo whom I had bought it from. They contacted Cowon who replied almost immediately asking for certain info in order to provide me with an RMA. I supplied the info but then heard nothing from them. I have tried to follow up by sending emails to every Cowon address I can find and asking B&H for further assistance. The result-absolute silence-the Company seems as dead as my dap and quite frankly after this kind of treatment, I hope they are. My advice-whatever the merits of this dap might be they can't outweigh this kind of backup service. I've had many Daps over the years and sometimes a slow response to service requests, but nothing close to this- Long live Apple and other manufacturers who know at least a bit more about customer service-and Neuros, please bring on that new dap quickly.

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 17
If you'll look up my threads, i've gotten the same run around treatment. But if you contact iaudio god, not only can he hook you up with free shipping, generally it only takes less than half a week for them to ship it back out to you after they recieve it. Once you get in contact with Cowon's RMA department, they are a dream!

Nov 18, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 17
I'll give it a try. I've posted the same thread on iaudiophile. I hope it works but it still seems strange to me that you have to go such a round about way to get help. I would've been satisfied if Cowon had just kept in contact with me-even if it took a while to fix-this is a Dap I would love to love as it does so many things right, but absolute silence is a dealbreaker for me.

Nov 21, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 17
Still no reply from iaudio_god or Cowon-but the good news is that B&H photo kindly agreed to exchange my broken unit for a new one, even though it clearly falls outside their usual return policy. If I had shopped at a less accomodating dealer I would still be stuck with a dead unit. Thumbs up to B&H-but still a big thumbs down to Cowon.It shouldn't be the job of the retailer to bail out the supplier and my confidence in buying any new cowon product has not been restored.

Nov 21, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #8 of 17
Still doesn't excuse it in my book. I get infinitely better service from Xin who is basically a one man show, has just moved from California to Oregon and redesigned his entire product range at the same time, as well as fixing 2 of my amps. I don't expect the same from Cowon and I would understand even if I received an automated reply stating that they were in the process of moving and would attend to my request in due course. But absolute silence following a very simple and repeated request, and from a company that wants to play in the big league-just not good enough.

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
...absolute silence following a very simple and repeated request, and from a company that wants to play in the big league-just not good enough.

I agree completely... thanks for the heads up. For this kind of service, I'll get a refurbished Karma.

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by irvin59
Still doesn't excuse it in my book. I get infinitely better service from Xin who is basically a one man show, has just moved from California to Oregon and redesigned his entire product range at the same time, as well as fixing 2 of my amps. I don't expect the same from Cowon and I would understand even if I received an automated reply stating that they were in the process of moving and would attend to my request in due course. But absolute silence following a very simple and repeated request, and from a company that wants to play in the big league-just not good enough.

y didnt u send the cowon?and get a new 1

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 17
you ALWAYS get better supporty from a one person company than by big one.

when my x5 broke i got a new one within 2 week.

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by eeerie1
I agree completely... thanks for the heads up. For this kind of service, I'll get a refurbished Karma.

Are you expecting better service going forward from Rio?
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by solidism
y didnt u send the cowon?and get a new 1

That's exactly what I tried to do. I would also have been happy with a repair-but you can't send them anything without getting an RMA and they ignored my request for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back