X3II next firmware bug / improvements wish list
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #76 of 89

it does not have to be all-or-nothing.  you could make a linkable library available (or just some .o files) and some headers and draw a line where the source ends and binary blob begins.  it happens enough that its an understood problem.

talking to the SoC chips is asking a lot; so give an api that abstracts things and gives enough control so that a user (programmer) could write an event loop and handle things that they want, display to the screen what they want, etc.

it would take some work to create that abstraction; but on the plus side, once you did that, you could spend less effort and time on the UI since that part could be open and you'd get many volunteers to add neat features at the UI side.  you guys would spend your time fixing bugs that are below the api level and getting that layer rock solid.

the vendor has to want that and see value in it, and budget for its people and how the source code control system works, how the bug reporting system works, etc.  a public and private 'view' would be useful; but this is all already solved and many companies do this.  hell, the android model is like this; they give api access to things but we'll NEVER see real access to the radio and gfx system.  that part will be closed source and always will be.  but if the api abstraction is sufficient, it would not be a problem.

anyway, something to think about.  if you got some open source guys on the payroll and ones that had done this before, you could pull it off.

+10000 for opensourcing the firmware!
the already huge and extremely helpfull linux community would definitely be interested.

Sep 14, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #77 of 89
Sorry to present it like that,but it is a pure fantasy. UI and firmware capability is one of their biggest advantage.
Fiio listened to the community, they make very good level devices.
There may be some imperfections, but they are working to improve what can still be.
Just compare their device to other player.... (except maybe Ibasso)

After all, it's their secret
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #78 of 89
Many good ideas so far. Features i miss:

+ Scroll wheel for volume in the playback window (like ipod)
+ Gain switch through shortcut menu during playback
+ Pitching/speedup capability (e.g. for audio books), possibly shortcut menu button (like rockbox)
+ Already named: Accellerated scrolling and "Ask for USB mode" when cable is plugged in

That would be some great user experience improvements.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #79 of 89
linuxworks, FiiO have released new firmware across the line for all their wheel-based X players. Users are reporting a phenomenal improvement to the scroll wheel response, to the extent that we're finally getting click-for-click response (for those models with firm detents in the scroll wheel). Unfortunately, I asked them about it and they said it wasn't related to your code submission. :xf_eek: Nevertheless, thanks for your submission and for getting FiiO to take the issue seriously!

:beerchug:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 29, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #80 of 89
@linuxworks, FiiO have released new firmware across the line for all their wheel-based X players. Users are reporting a phenomenal improvement to the scroll wheel response, to the extent that we're finally getting click-for-click response (for those models with firm detents in the scroll wheel). Unfortunately, I asked them about it and they said it wasn't related to your code submission.
redface.gif
Nevertheless, thanks for your submission and for getting FiiO to take the issue seriously!

beerchug.gif

great news!!
when can we get the firmware?

EDIT
nevermind, found it :)

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #81 of 89
All the new firmware download threads all topping the FiiO forum page? :xf_eek:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 29, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #82 of 89
linuxworks, FiiO have released new firmware across the line for all their wheel-based X players. Users are reporting a phenomenal improvement to the scroll wheel response, to the extent that we're finally getting click-for-click response (for those models with firm detents in the scroll wheel). Unfortunately, I asked them about it and they said it wasn't related to your code submission. :xf_eek: Nevertheless, thanks for your submission and for getting FiiO to take the issue seriously!

:beerchug:

That was my first thought, the code worked! Either way. I will like the improvement!

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #83 of 89
I thought I ought to chime in with my own list of suggestions, some of which may already have been mentioned by others.

1. Search by letter with <</>> buttons and step by step with scroll wheel
    (otherwise possibly emulate/be inspired by Ipod Classic where quick scrolling jumps to scrolling A-Z)
  2. Shortcut to EQ from shortcut bar
  3. File or folder transfer capability from OTG-source (move or copy to SD)
  4. Automatically remove empty folders on .lib update
  5. Adjustable font size (perhaps standard, bold and large as options for best visibility)

possibly also Solid color themes with no frills although those can be modded on ones own, I think it would be appreciated though.

No idea what so ever what kind of programming we're talking about here but these are the things I miss on an otherwise excellent player, minor annoyances that subtract from the user experience.

-Simplicity is key, always.

Nov 16, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #84 of 89
I thought I ought to chime in with my own list of suggestions, some of which may already have been mentioned by others.

• Search by letter with <> buttons and step by step with scroll wheel

(otherwise possibly emulate/be inspired by Ipod Classic where quick scrolling jumps to scrolling A-Z)
  • Shortcut to EQ from shortcut bar
  • File or folder transfer capability from OTG-source (move or copy to SD)
  • Automatically remove empty folders on .lib update
  • Adjustable font size (perhaps standard, bold and large as options for best visibility)

possibly also Solid color themes with no frills although those can be modded on ones own, I think it would be appreciated though.

No idea what so ever what kind of programming we're talking about here but these are the things I miss on an otherwise excellent player, minor annoyances that subtract from the user experience.

-Simplicity is key, always.
+1 to all your suggestions.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #85 of 89
A new beta for the X5 2nd gen has just been released. It includes the below:

Added library search function: activate by holding Shortcuts button in any category or folder browsing screen; use previous / next buttons to switch between numbers and alphabet).

One can only hope the X3 2nd gen is getting the same love soon :)

Nov 19, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #86 of 89
Please add the following features to the X3II.

1. Fix the bug with the length of path/filename in playlists
2. Bookmarks so we can mark where we left off so we can easily resume back to where we were.
3. Replaygan
4. Audiobook support for audiobooks from Overdrive and Audible.
5. When browsing, allow showing of the track name tag instead of the filename
6. Allow the PSB M4U 2 iPod cable to control the X3II.
7. Add a percent to the battery meter display.

That's all for now. I hope these suggestions make it into a new version firmware.

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #87 of 89

2. Bookmarks so we can mark where we left off so we can easily resume back to where we were.
3. Replaygan

That's all for now. I hope these suggestions make it into a new version firmware.

#5 is needed. I have always had to rename my files when loading them on the player. Please implement.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #88 of 89
 Originally Posted by JWolf 

3. Replaygan

#5 is needed. I have always had to rename my files when loading them on the player. Please implement.

The most important fix for most people would be #1. #5 is trivial. Just use MP3Tag and renaming is trivial.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #89 of 89
The most important fix for most people would be #1. #5 is trivial. Just use MP3Tag and renaming is trivial. We all want different improvements based on how we use the device.

I do use mp3tag. Why not fix anything, no matter how trivial. For me #1 is trivial because I don't use playlists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back