X3 Problems
Apr 4, 2015 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

offtilt

New Head-Fier
Purchased x3 five months ago; basically because of the info on this website.   Have used it maybe 15hrs total.
Immediately noticed some small audio distortion in the mid highs have since been trying numerous headphones.

Also, immediately, seemed to be a problem with right ear going flat sometimes, could not figure it out.     Haven't used it much because the audio experience has mostly been annoying not enjoyable.   

Yesterday again took some time to figure out the problem.  
Results - whenever the x3 is tapped lightly on it's back or front  harder - it will partially cut out the right - still playing but it's flat.   Only way to fix is remove headphone jack and re-insert.  THen if it get's tapped again (like gently setting down on the table)  it goes flat.
Have not figured out the audio distortion problem - I re ripped some sources that do not have the issue and still have the audio distortion on X3.
I have since played more of Dr. Chesky's - the build into firmware  and distortion is there as well.

My recourse is to mail the unit to china for a small fortune, praying nothing happens in travel, waiting more than a month and now my brand new unit isrefurbished that may or may not still have the problem?

Reviews seem to be fairly wrong.

Apr 4, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello offtilt,

Sorry to hear that your X3 seems to be faulty. In the case of a device being faulty on first use, it would have been better to take advantage of the direct return / exchange policy offered by most retailers in e.g. the first week or first month after purchase. As it is, I would love to come up with a better alternative to what you are describing, but it would be difficult since we cannot confirm that your unit was indeed faulty upon arrival. However, it should be noted that the X3 you would receive back from us would either be your original unit, repaired, or an all new unit.

Best regards,
Joseph Yeung
FiiO

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 5, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 8
First, as I was saying, I noticed the distortions and have been trying different headphones since.   I didn't think the player would have been the problem, figured it had to be the headphones or the audio media.
Tried Klipsch Status over ear and for a while this was all I had to try.  I was wondering if I was just hearing imperfections I could not before.
I wondered if the x3 was underpowering the Klipsch and causing the issue
Then I tried audio technica ep3
Then a few I'm unsure of - were borrowed
Then B&W P5 and P7
Then Denon AH-C400
Then I tried LINE-OUT,  to amp which was flat/muddled/and just un-listenable.
Then I tried Headphone-out to powered computer speakers, sounded much better than the line out but still had distortion

I did look up problem with the X3 audio early on - and ended up upgrading to 3.24  to see if that would fix my problems.   It did not.

Secondly, unit was purchased end of November as a Christmas present - and first use was beginning of January.

Had not had time to re-rip songs. 
I played the mp3 rerips on x3 and CD player (three, actually I dug out of storage) - distortion audible on X3 not on CD player and the soundstage is much more vivid on the CD player.  
Compared the Lossless FLACs on X3 to a friends computer which has a high end audio setup... again computer sounded better and distortion not evident on computer while it was on x3.
So didn't find out that audio distortion was definately X3 and not the source until just now (few days ago)

The right ear playing quietly/flat like it's not being amplified  - it did that very infrequently at start - so infrequently I wasn't sure what problem I was having.  perhaps I hadn't inserted the headphone all the way, and when I would touch the headphone jack - it would go back to normal.      I purchased two new cords for my headphones - in case that was the problem.   Same problem occurred after and now it happens every time the device is tapped very lightly with your finger on the back, middle or harder tap on the font.
Every time device is set down - happens.

It's like $50 (more I think actually) to send this back to china securely, (so if it disappears, I may be reimbursed and not just out of luck..my understanding from being an ebay seller - that is not even really safe at all) in the HOPES it may even be fixed or a working replacement.   THAT IS INSANE!!!   THAT IS DISGUSTING!!!

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 8
this-is-sparta.jpg

:wink:
Seriously though, no need to go off the deep end; just ship it to us via the cheapest tracked option. We'll send you a replacement unit, no questions asked, if your parcel is confirmed MIA. That's our standard practice.

If the above is not satisfactory, please let me know of your location so I may attempt to make alternative arrangements on your behalf.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #5 of 8
PM sent
Took me a while - family duties, it's been a holiday here - Easter Sunday.

I also forgot - every time X3 is connected to computer
I get:
"There is a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it."

Also battery doesn't last anywhere near 10hrs for the most part and when unit is off it sometimes goes from full charge down to close to nothing.

Also the charge port is loose

Perhaps I have been lucky with my audio equipment over the last 35yrs - This is the first item I have purchased other than a yamaha receiver, about 25yrs ago that lasted 4yrs before the volume switch and a couple inputs went bad - but I had as extended warranty at the time and it was just replaced at the store I purchased it.   And one of the original large ipods - I think was 60GB - there were a lot of people having the same problem - Apple at the time (after warranty was expired) just mailed me a newer model unit and a RMS lable for old unit.  And that's been it
I have given away many devices that worked fine after year and sold some -  currently I still have four old cassette walkmans that work (don't use them though,) three old discmans that work wonderfully - one actually gets used frequently still.  There is a whole host or audio equipment and headphones I have or know where they are (given away) that still work as new.  

I have had nothing but problems; it took a lot of time trying to figure out where the problem lay.   This is time I wished to relax and unwind rather than deal with finding problems I couldn't fathom could be from the expensive DAP.   I left it at home when I went to Puerto Rico - because it was painful to listen to with the audio distortion - that trip was the reason for the timing of the purchase.

The one problem with the audio partial cutout on right side - it at first had me think I was going crazy when it only happened once in a blue-moon - this and audio distortion I thought the firmware upgrade might fix as I heard people had some audio problems and seemed to be fixed with new firmware.

And now there is a second generation I may have done the upgrade on had I not had the problems with this unit.  Instead I have a defective first generation that's been nothing but a headache.
I had intended to purchase an amp as well if the sound was as incredible as some of the reviews of the x3,  This experience has changed my mind so far.

Apr 7, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 8
It sounds like you just got a bad unit. It happens with everything that's made It sucks when it happens to you but as you said you've been luck. The vast majority of  Fiio customer are more than happy with there equipment. The X3 is a outstanding DAP as well as most of there products. Luck of the draw gave you a bad one it happens. I'm sure they will try to correct the problem. I have 3 Fiio products all have worked great for me. I would not hesitate to buy more. I know its frustrating when you get a bad unit but you can't judge a company on that. The best products sometimes have issues that's just life. I hope it all works out for you. I don't think using any of the headphones you listed caused it to happen. I run 300 ohm Senn HD600s and a verity of othe IEMs and headphones without issue. At the end of the day you just got a bad one.

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Heard from your pm that you're from the US. Did you purchase the unit from a US dealer? If so you could simply send it in to them or their distributor. That's also standard practice but from your first reply I assumed you bought it overseas :confused:

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 8
Adorama.com - and no I can't just send it to them that I know of - unless it's grey market?  If so, then they only repair it in house as far as I know and that worries me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back