X3 2nd Gen database
Mar 24, 2016 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Rex Block

New Head-Fier
Hi I am having some tag problems and a wondering if they are traceable back to usrlocal_media.db. Here is the sequence:

1. load music files onto 128GB SD card (SD card in SD slot)
2. find bad tags in X3
3. correct tags on host computer (Mac); confirmed correct using mp3tag (under Win 10 and Parallels)
4. remove all music files on SD card (rm -rf /Volumes/x3-128/Music -- see below)
5. put empty SD card in X3 and refresh X3 library to clear it out
6. reinsert empty SD card in Mac, reload SD card with updated music files that have correct tags
7. reinsert populated SD card in X3, refresh X3 library.
8. bad tags are still there.

So where are the bad tags coming from? 

I've seen reference to usrlocal_media.db but it was not on the SD card, and it should not have survived an rm -rf. The root directory is shown below. 

Questions -
  • is the DB file in one of the other directories? Those other dirs are standard Mac directories.
  • is there on-board memory I can access? I've seen references to that, but when connecting the X3 device to the Mac, none of the procedural steps have yielded anything on the x3 other than the SD card. 
  • does usrlocal_media.db contain persistent information about files it has seen before, but then might be deleted from the SD card? 
  • should I try a factory reset? would really not want to pick through all the settings again

I don't understand how the X3 can see the old tags if the media library has been refreshed and the tag data has been removed from the mp3 file... unless there is some persistent storage. 

drwxrwxrwx  1 rexb  131072 Jan 16 17:50 .Spotlight-V100
drwxrwxrwx@ 1 rexb  131072 Jan 16 17:50 .Trashes
-rwxrwxrwx  1 rexb    4096 Mar 17 19:00 ._.
-rwxrwxrwx  1 rexb    4096 Jan 16 17:50 ._.Trashes
drwxrwxrwx  1 rexb  131072 Mar 24 13:05 .fseventsd
drwxrwxrwx  1 rexb  131072 Aug 28  2015 Music
drwxrwxrwx  1 rexb  131072 Jan 30 10:05 playlists

Particulars
Device: X3 2nd gen 1.4 Firmware
Host OS: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 w/ Parallels and Win 10 in a VM
Tools: The awesome mp3tag program; VLC; iTunes.
SD Card: 128 GB ExFAT (Diskutil says NTFS) labelled x3-128

adTHANKSvance

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi, Red Block.

1. For this case, pls try to upgrade your unit to FW1.44beta(click here), which already fixs the following issues:
*Fixed issue where some ID3 tag info could not be read correctly
*Fixed issue with hidden files stored by a Mac OS computer accessing the cards on the X3 2nd gen

2. If the new beta firmware can not help solve the problem, pls try to remove the APEv2 on your songs by MP3tag.
Pls be noted that, only the ID3v2 is affected if you change the tags of your songs by computer. And the priority of ID3tag label types on the X3II is APEv2 > ID3v2 >ID3v1, so pls confirm whether there is APEv2 label on your songs firstly. If there is, pls try to remove it. Here is the picture guiding you how to remove APEv2 by MP3tag.
If it still can not work, pls share some songs with us then we can try to analyze this problem. Thanks in advance. :)

Mar 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 12
Yep, that was it -- nasty hidden APE tags. Totally forgot about those. Once they were cleaned up and removed, the X3 showed them all properly.

Many many thanks to the APE tip and for the how-to on removing the tags in mp3tag.

Mar 25, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 12
  Yep, that was it -- nasty hidden APE tags. Totally forgot about those. Once they were cleaned up and removed, the X3 showed them all properly.

Many many thanks to the APE tip and for the how-to on removing the tags in mp3tag.

So glad to know that your problem has been solved. It is my pleasure to provide the helps.  
beerchug.gif

Jul 27, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #5 of 12
does this process also work for flac or lossless files?  I'm having the same problem on the x5 2nd gen.  I actually went through all the directories one by one and searched for ape files, found a few and updated my database, yet I still get flac and mp3 files putting themselves in their own genre even though the id3 tags and flac tags show otherwise

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 12
  does this process also work for flac or lossless files?  I'm having the same problem on the x5 2nd gen.  I actually went through all the directories one by one and searched for ape files, found a few and updated my database, yet I still get flac and mp3 files putting themselves in their own genre even though the id3 tags and flac tags show otherwise

Hi, gameguru1360.

Please note that, the above solution is not applied to FLAC files. As for the tag of the FLAC files, there are 2 kinds (as we know), one is FLAC(FLAC), another is FLAC(FLAC IDv2). Pls see the picture as follows:

The X series music players can support FLAC(FLAC), but not FLAC(FLAC IDv2). So how to make it become FLAC(FLAC)?
1. Pls try to right click the FLAC file, then select "Remove tag". 
Note: after done, all the info of "Title", "Album" or "Artist" will be deleted directly. So it will be better for you to backup them on a text before this operation, if you can not remember the all the info well. 
2. Pls fill the the info of "Title", "Album" or "Artist" on the left side, and save the file. Then the tag will become "FLAC(FLAC)". 
3. Load the edited FLAC file to the FiiO DAP, then update the media library to test again.

Hope the above way helps. And any test result, pls share with us. :)

Jul 28, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Like I posted in another thread, I tried that procedure and it now populates weird file names.  Formatted the card in the x5 ii and did a media reset and factory reset and still unknown artist, unknown title, unknown genre still show up.  Deleted all ape and id3 tags from flac files

Jul 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #8 of 12
  Like I posted in another thread, I tried that procedure and it now populates weird file names.  Formatted the card in the x5 ii and did a media reset and factory reset and still unknown artist, unknown title, unknown genre still show up.  Deleted all ape and id3 tags from flac files

Could you please directly send 1 or 2 FLAC files to me by private meassage? We just want to confirm the problem firstly, and will try to analyse this issue. :)

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 12
well the x5 2nd gen was fun while it lasted but I ended up ordering a newer other brand hi res audio player.  This genre id3 tag problem has been stressing me out and I just have no patience to make it work anymore and I've tried other ways .  I think it's better to have a player that either has buttons or a touch screen as now my wheel is starting to feel like it's going to fall off and I've always been careful on how I handle it each time and it's just not worth waiting for a replacement.  Thanks for your support help.

Sep 7, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 12
  well the x5 2nd gen was fun while it lasted but I ended up ordering a newer other brand hi res audio player.  This genre id3 tag problem has been stressing me out and I just have no patience to make it work anymore and I've tried other ways .  I think it's better to have a player that either has buttons or a touch screen as now my wheel is starting to feel like it's going to fall off and I've always been careful on how I handle it each time and it's just not worth waiting for a replacement.  Thanks for your support help.

Hi, gameguru1360
Sorry for the inconvenience bringing to you! According to your discribtion, it seems some hardware problem with your wheel. Please try to contact your seller for help which can be fast and convenient. But if you just like to use your X5II in order not to wait, we will respect your choice. 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back