X10v3 pre amp modded by Benny. First impressions.
Nov 14, 2006 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kool bubba ice

Headphoneus Supremus
First off, Benny was a pleasure to deal with. He charges 107.00, which includes parts/labor/shipping. Since we both live in the bay we decided to meet halfway. I told Benny my concerns about shipping the X10v3, as I felt more comfortable giving it directly to him. He agreed, & I was very thankful. I paid him gas money, since he was going out of his way & doing me a favor..

Benny changed the jamicon caps to the panasonic caps..included the ultra fast diode, & installed heatsinks. When I got my modded unit home, the difference was immediate. I was playing my Janet Jacksons Greats Hits. VA MP3 lame. 320KB.. When the first song started playing I noticed a new layer of smoothness which was't there prior to the mod.. It was like the music was a canvas with bumps, & a painter painted over it, smoothing it out. The harshness was gone. Air around the instruments & vocals are much improved. It brings the subtle changes to the forefront. The added warmth, richness, & increased soundstage is more present, but doesn't effect the music in a negative way IMO. It just adds to it.. The bass booms with authority, & is more physical.

Before the mod I wasn't sure I made the right choice in buying the X10v3.. I liked the effects it had on my music, but the difference was too subtle for my liking.. Even though I only paid 285.00 for it used, I was thinking I could have spent my money on somthing better. After the mod, I doubt this will leave my system for sometime. The sonic improvments after the mods trump the stock X10v3 in every way.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #2 of 12
Because of you my friend I have kept my X-10 and offered it to Benny to have it modded.

No pressure.
icon10.gif
Seriously for the price of the mod and the tube buffer it will be an interesting dabble into the tube buffer world.

Nov 15, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih
Because of you my friend I have kept my X-10 and offered it to Benny to have it modded.

No pressure.
icon10.gif
Seriously for the price of the mod and the tube buffer it will be an interesting dabble into the tube buffer world.

If when you get it back you do not like it shoot me a PM, I might be interested!
icon10.gif
By the way is it the original or a V3? Thanks.

Nov 15, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih

No pressure.
icon10.gif

I like the Mod so much I use it with my lil pinkie instead of my DACV3 most of the time. If you decide to get the mod MR, try it out with the pinkie..
eggosmile.gif
I'm buying another pinkie for my DACV3..

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BennyBoy
Glad your happy! Funny how a few high grade parts can make all the difference. I guess MF would need to retail the V3's out at closer to $1000. if they used the better parts?
icon10.gif

After reading Mikes forum, I come to the conclusion that MF uses very cheap parts & charges a premuim rate..MF can claim the XDAC3 is the best DAC for any price, ITO.. But the truth is under the hood.. Jamicon caps..Ugh No..

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 12
They do use low cost parts but very good designs. kinda like Jap cars from the 70/80's, Really good designs with really cheap metal.

Anyway, most large audio companys skimp on parts and still make good sounding stuff.

On the X-DACV3, they dont skimp on the important stuff ie. dacs/filters.

rolleyes.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:19 AM Post #9 of 12
Benny, I just found this thread and am intrigued by your X10V3 mod (caps + heatsinks, possibly). I'm in the South Bay too (Saratoga) but I'm perhaps less "sensitive" about shipping the unit. Would you by any chance have time to do the mod for me quickly, before the new year?

I will be spending a lot of time in China (travelling back and forth) and might want to take the X10V3 with me... Would you (or anyone else) recommend against using a 220-120V converter or transformer before the wallwart? In general, should I avoid running a low-power component (such as Quad CDP or Stax T1/LambdaPro) in such a fashion?

Your help and advice will be much appreciated! -- William

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wchang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benny, I just found this thread and am intrigued by your X10V3 mod (caps + heatsinks, possibly). I'm in the South Bay too (Saratoga) but I'm perhaps less "sensitive" about shipping the unit. Would you by any chance have time to do the mod for me quickly, before the new year?

I will be spending a lot of time in China (travelling back and forth) and might want to take the X10V3 with me... Would you (or anyone else) recommend against using a 220-120V converter or transformer before the wallwart? In general, should I avoid running a low-power component (such as Quad CDP or Stax T1/LambdaPro) in such a fashion?

Your help and advice will be much appreciated! -- William

William, Benny has been banned so he will not be able to respond. If you are interested in someone modding your V3 send me a PM.

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Why is he banned and is it something consumers should be worried about considering we would send him money and equipment? Also and recs on addind a little weight to my system of a Redwine Ipod/stax 3030 system.

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcfis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is he banned and is it something consumers should be worried about considering we would send him money and equipment? Also and recs on addind a little weight to my system of a Redwine Ipod/stax 3030 system.

FYI... Its against forum rules to discuss member bans, so mods might delete your post. Hopefully someone will PM you back.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back