X10 vs. TDK BA-200
Jan 1, 2013 at 4:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ksimm033

100+ Head-Fier
UPDATE - Listen to most mainstream R&B, Hip-hop, Country, Rock and watch movies. Budget under $150. Can get X10 for $90 and TDK BA-200 for $135. Looking for excellent soundstage , comfortable and a really good overall sound (Balanced). Would like to be as good as closed cans (like the CAL!) Other suggestions are welcomed! Thanks for the help! 

Jan 1, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #2 of 11
x10 is much better than shure215( haven't try 215ltd , but bass must x10 stronger , also x10 is more lighter than 215 , but if 215 fit u , 215 maybe more comfortable , treble and mid part just defference signature . x10 much warmer , male voice more suitable but female also not bad , 215 more suit female, but i will choose x10 because shure cable very easily break(at least worse than westone, ue and klipsch)

Jan 1, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
x10 is much better than shure215( haven't try 215ltd , but bass must x10 stronger , also x10 is more lighter than 215 , but if 215 fit u , 215 maybe more comfortable , treble and mid part just defference signature . x10 much warmer , male voice more suitable but female also not bad , 215 more suit female, but i will choose x10 because shure cable very easily break(at least worse than westone, ue and klipsch)

Thanks for the quick reply! X10 for $90 or is there a better IEM for under around the same price or a little more? Also I just purchased a closed can, can this IEM achieve the same great sound?

Jan 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 11
The Klipsch X10 are great buy if need good punchy bass, fairly wide soundstage and warm sound. I will recommend to try UE TF10Pro, GR07 if soundstage is more important with tight bass, overall balance sound but X10i are great buy under current price.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 11
I bought the X10 on Black Friday for $85 but decided to return the X10 because it doesn't suite my needs.  The X10 cannot be worn over the ears; therefore, X10 will have more cable noise and fall off easier.  The earbuds go deep into the ear and provide a really good seal.  I do admit that they are very light and powerful for such small earphones.  If I were to keep them, probably strictly for Dance and Techno music and such without vocal, but it's such a hassle to carry around more than one set of earphones.

The physical features aren't important IMO.  What I don't like about them are the bass that drowned out the vocal.  If you appreciate the vocal and love to listen to the singers' voice, then I would consider something with less bass output. 

Under $150, you quite a few options: DUNU 3C-S, R-50 by Rock-it, HiFiMan RE262, Creative Aurvana 3, Yamaha EPH-100SL, Logitech Ultimate Ears 700, Phiaton PS 200 was price at $105 a few days ago at Amazon.com, and last but not least the MEElectronics A161P. 

Despite of what people say about the HiFiMan RE262 having weak bass.  They do actually put out a lot of bass.  Not as much as the X10, but definitely more than the older Shure SE series.  I did some more burn-in on my new RE262, they sound slightly better and I'm starting to feel attached to them because they do pretty well overall in R&B, Rocks, Country, POP, RAP, Dance, and etc..., IMO.  My only dislike about the RE272 are the TRRS modular plug and they don't sound as good as the Shure SE530 in the vocal, but that's because I expect to much from a set of earphones that cost $119 compared to the SE530, $499.

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 11
No,  I have not tried the TDK  BA-200 nor R50s?  Those are good earphones but they don't go well with the music that I listen to.  I learnt that after picking up the Klipsch X10.  I prefer a mid-centric type of earphones like the Shure SE530 model (my first IEM) with modular cable.  I also try to stay away from earphones that have sibilance because I'm sensitive to them.  Learnt that after I got the Klipsch X10, too.  

Base on the above, the R-50 is out, not enough mids; the TDK is out too for similar reason and sibilant.  My next venture will be the Aurvana 3 because it's kind of hard to replace a pair of Shure SE530 because there's a possible cable tear and there's no warranty on it now that only used ones are available.  Not completely sure about the Aurvana 3 because they might be a bit too big for my ears base on the reviews and photos.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #9 of 11
I just saw this post and thought I would share my thoughts given I have had time with both iEMs.

To my ears, the X10 and the BA200 have similar FR where both have slightly laid-back treble. This specific curve makes these 2 IEMs the most forgiving IEMs I have ever heard. You can throw the most sibilant tracks their way and they would both present them in a very pleasant way.

Even though they are similar in FR, they have different focus points. The BA200 focuses on lush and full mids with great soundstage. It is very good at lifting vocals out of the mix and presenting it center stage with full body and great texture. The X10, on the other hand, focuses on bass, and for a single BA IEM, I would say it does a darn good job. Thats not to say the BA200 is lacking in this spectrum, and although it offers a lighter, less visceral bass, it can extend to the very lowest of lows while maintaining speed and impact.

Soundstage on the BA200 is one of the best I have heard and able to compete with my SM3. The X10 is not too far behind and can very well keep up with both the Ba200 and SM3 n some tracks.

Detail retrieval is very good on both with the BA200 edging out slightly. Instrument separation is also a little better on the BA200 but impact and as I mentioned, bass goes to the X10.

I would say, for jazz, vocals and busy latin and percussion tracks, the Ba200 is the way to go. For rock, pop and hiphop that requires a little bit more bass, the X10 would be my choice.

Hope this helps

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 11
TDK BA200 is not sibilant. Rather, if the music file you are listening to is sibilant, it will likely point it out (then again, the same goes for the X10). It has good extension in both the low and high end, and has a decent amount of treble sparkle, but it is not emphasized like the R-50.

Compared to the X10, the BA200 has a quicker bass, so it won't sound as announced, but it is rather more neutral. Both are quite smooth sounding, but I found the detail on the BA200 better than that of the X10. X10 does have a deep and nice hitting bass, however. Mids are more forward and closer on the X10, but the clarity on the BA200 wins. At the top, the X10 is shallower with the highs than the BA200 (which still doesn't reach as high as, for example, the R-50) and is not as articulate. Overall, I found the BA200 more technically proficient than the X10, but the X10 will do nicely if you're looking for a BA with better bass presence than most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back