X10 stress reliefer split (ridiculous)
Jun 18, 2009 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
This is just outrageous, i used them gently, indoor-only for several hours and this split already start to develop... Looks like some kind of dried-up resine is used for this reliefers...
But, think about it, less than 20 hours of indoor use...
frown.gif

2ngwwhg.jpg

Jun 18, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 14
I'm sorry about the trouble. These are warrantied for 2 years, and the dealer where you purchased them should honor that. Let me know if you have any problems.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 14
I'm starting to get the same problem, although yours are a little bit more ripped than mine. No problems with the audio or anythingk, though. I use mine exclusively in an office environment and treat them like gold (since that's how they sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 14
Yep, mine started to split yesterday. Almost as if on queue, both pieces in the exact place as the picture QQQ posted. Un-friggin-believable for a $349 pair of IEMs.

Unfortunately I bought mine second hand in VERY much "like new" condition with less than 10 hours listening time on them so I just can't return them to a store under warranty. I can't even sell these POS now because they're busting.
mad.gif

I think if I paid full price at close to $400 with tax included for these things, and they broke like this after a couple weeks of use, I would make that drive to Indiana, tie these to a brick and throw it in a strategic direction. This is absolutely piss poor build quality on such an expensive piece of audio equipment.

According to "professor thump" it's our "oils" that make the cables split.

It couldn't possibly be poor build, or inferior rubber. It's our fault. Funny I've never had any splitting on any other pair of IEM's I've ever had. Just look at others with the same problem.

Oils.

Pffftt.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry about the trouble. These are warrantied for 2 years, and the dealer where you purchased them should honor that. Let me know if you have any problems.

Is that the same for your products in the UK and/or bought from Klipsch.co.uk? I have been quoted only 1-year warranty periods by them...

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 14
I have just had this problem occur on my X5s which I thought were immune to the issue. I have had them for 7 months with reasonable but careful use. I am getting them swapped under warranty but am concerned that this will happen again and with only a years warranty it will be a pain.

Jul 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordEntropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just had this problem occur on my X5s which I thought were immune to the issue. I have had them for 7 months with reasonable but careful use. I am getting them swapped under warranty but am concerned that this will happen again and with only a years warranty it will be a pain.

Ditto.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #11 of 14
The odd thing is I am not having any issues with the cable just the sleeve. I had a similar problem with my Shure Se210s and eventually they broke. Seem bizarre that in this day and age we cannot manufacture a plastic or rubber that does not suffer this problem, or maybe there is but it is too cost prohibitive!!

Would like some reassurance though from Klipsch if possible.

Jul 3, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 14
As long as a releifer constructed with two "half-pipes" glued\melted\whatever together, it will be split overtime. Gotta have a solid tube to withstand stress-reliefing purposes...

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordEntropy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The odd thing is I am not having any issues with the cable just the sleeve. I had a similar problem with my Shure Se210s and eventually they broke. Seem bizarre that in this day and age we cannot manufacture a plastic or rubber that does not suffer this problem, or maybe there is but it is too cost prohibitive!!

Would like some reassurance though from Klipsch if possible.

Did you know, also, that Klipsch.co.UK's quality control is based in the Republic of Ireland?! I wasn't best pleased at learning that as, to return my image X10s to them for repair/replacement (yes, with a torn stress reliever), as the Irish Republic is outside the UK, postal destinations there are considered international, which meant significantly higher shipping costs to me, as it would to anyone based in/shipping to them from the UK (£8.90 to be precise, as opposed to £5.40 to post item with appropriate compensation coverage to a UK destination). Not best pleased, as, accumulatively, if I have to endure several warranty replacements over the course of my tenure owning the Image X10s, which, given the regularity of this quality control failure, is a relatively likely scenario/possibility, it would, in effect, inflate the cost of this investment significantly over time!

Jul 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #14 of 14
I was instructed to return my X5s to the original supplier which I have done and have just been told they will be replaced. My concern is what will happen when my warranty runs out in Dec and next year they start to split again???

Is there anything anyone has successfully discovered that can help prevent this issue, other than sealing them in an airtight container and never using them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back