X-PSU worth it for X-Can?
Nov 2, 2006 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Duc

100+ Head-Fier
If I am already running the cheap wall wart power supply through a power filter/conditioner will I notice a difference with Musical Fidelity's Power Supply Upgrade. Does it actually boost the input power? or does it just filter it?

blink.gif

B

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc
If I am already running the cheap wall wart power supply through a power filter/conditioner will I notice a difference with Musical Fidelity's Power Supply Upgrade. Does it actually boost the input power? or does it just filter it?

blink.gif

B

It's my understanding that it provides more and better quality power to the MF Small X Series units (XCAN v3, XDAC v3, X10 v3 Tube Buffer, etc.).

In that context... it does improve the SQ somewhat - but, there is not a dramatic improvement.

If you only need a better PSU for the XCAN v3, and maybe one other unit, you may be better off with PinkFloyd's "Little Pinkie" (which I'm sure is a better unit) - but, if you have all the MF Small X Series components, it's less expensive to buy the XPSU v3, which powers 4 components.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #4 of 9
Little Pinkie is $100 Britsh Pounds, which is close to $200 USD, and it can only drive one component. In my point of view, X-PSU is a better deal. It is $399, but it can drive four components. If you have X-DAC, X-10 V3 buffer, and X-Can V3, X-PSU is a more reasonable answer.

Nov 3, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid
Little Pinkie is $100 Britsh Pounds, which is close to $200 USD, and it can only drive one component. In my point of view, X-PSU is a better deal. It is $399, but it can drive four components. If you have X-DAC, X-10 V3 buffer, and X-Can V3, X-PSU is a more reasonable answer.

No, get three Little pinkies
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 9
The PSU seems to be highly recommended, but I got a big improvement out of the X-10 tube buffer. I never tried the DAC without the PSU, but I'm sure it couldn't have made as big an improvement as the tube buffer. Note that both are for sale in the ad in my sig
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by steaxauce
The PSU seems to be highly recommended, but I got a big improvement out of the X-10 tube buffer. I never tried the DAC without the PSU, but I'm sure it couldn't have made as big an improvement as the tube buffer. Note that both are for sale in the ad in my sig
evil_smiley.gif

What a salesman...
3000smile.gif
:

Seriously though
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back