X-PSU new substitute about to go into production!
Nov 19, 2002 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PinkFloyd

Headphoneus Supremus
Have started on X-PSU substitute pics here!
http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/index2.htm (look for X-PSU link)

Will upload everything by the beginning of next week and will review the sound on a seperate page!

I will include step by step instructions and a parts list but will also offer a "build it for you" price if you can't do it yourself.

It's early days but I reckon on about £30 for the kit or £60 for me to build it (includes sawing out the holes and soldering etc)

Will update the page as soon as anything happens... probably saturday.

Pinkie.

Nov 20, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 4
Erm... Don't tell me you're going to leave the fuse outside. Someone is going to touch it and.....
eek.gif

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Dreamslacker
Erm... Don't tell me you're going to leave the fuse outside. Someone is going to touch it and.....
eek.gif

They are invited to touch it and preferably get electrocuted because the only person likely to touch it would be a burglar!

The picture shows the exposed fuse but I have a fuse cover which will go over it
biggrin.gif

What rating of fuse would you use dreamslacker? I will be fusing the 12v side of the transformer and I reckon 1 amp should be ok?? The 230v side is already fused by the IEC inlet filters internal 2amp fuse.

Comments appreciated.

Pinkie

Nov 20, 2002 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
They are invited to touch it and preferably get electrocuted because the only person likely to touch it would be a burglar!

The picture shows the exposed fuse but I have a fuse cover which will go over it
biggrin.gif

What rating of fuse would you use dreamslacker? I will be fusing the 12v side of the transformer and I reckon 1 amp should be ok?? The 230v side is already fused by the IEC inlet filters internal 2amp fuse.

Comments appreciated.

Pinkie

I don't see a need to fuse the 12v side. Internal regulators in the X-cans should have short circuit protection.

I do suppose you can calculate for your transformer's VA rating if you insist on adding a fuse to the 12v line.
So 50vA would be about 4.16A at 12v (RMS voltage). That would be a 5A fuse. (I might be wrong here but that's how I would do the calculations).

It's better to check with an E.E.
I have no electrical, electronics or mechanical background. Everything I know is self-taught and I'm still learning. But things like safety are part of my instincts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck building your X-PSU! I'll need some in my next project: Regulated Dual-voltage lab PSU. Hoping to do a Walt Jung design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back