X Pic
Oct 21, 2002 at 2:32 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
I'm still a relative newcomer to serious audio; only a few of my friends are into audio and none have SET amps, so I'm interested to hear about your positive experiences with it.

The speakers on your shortlist are not really well-known brands, which means that you must have done a lot of research/auditioning to pick them over more widely reviewed ones. I've gone with stuff that has been widely reviewed, but I'm not yet fully satisfied. Eventually I will give SET/horns a serious audition if at all possible.

Actually, I haven't heard any of them yet.

I'll tell you, there was a big sonic difference between my EL 34 Push Pull amps and my SET. You will experience an even greater change. I may post a few more impressions later.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by rajan
pigmode,

Is this Fi X a real step up from the nOrh SE9?

Any thoughts on the Adire HE10.1 too?

tia, -rajan.

I'm not familiar with the SE9, but I believe the well regarded Consonance SET amps are also built in Asia.

Hre's are two interesting reviewsof the 10.1.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/adire10.htm

Those speakers are similar to my Galante Rhapsody, which is a bass-reflex design with a dual-concentric driver.

There is a horn loaded compression driver running behind/through the center of the main driver, with the 10" cone acting as the outer portion of the horn. My experience with the Galante so far indicates that these designs sound different from your average dynamic multi-way speakers.

One thing to consider is power and efficiency. If your room is way bigger than mine and you listen to full orchestral music at high levels, then you will be pushing the limits of lower powered SETs.

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:51 AM Post #19 of 26
Does Don's company now have a website? I can't understand why he doesn't have one as it could help market his products.
confused.gif

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by rajan
Does Don's company now have a website? I can't understand why he doesn't have one as it could help market his products.
confused.gif

No website yet. I have his address and phone # if you need it. He's a great guy.

Oct 23, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #21 of 26
I have his contact numbers pigmode. I got them from PFO where the adire review came out. I will post it here anyway as somebody maybe interested to contact him:

Fi
30 Veranda Place
Brooklyn, NY 11201
718-625-7353 (voice)
718-875-3972 (FAX)

Best.

Oct 25, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #22 of 26
The Fi has mimimal hours (40) but the Galante Rhapsodys have 165 hr., and the cdp and wires are well broken in. Here's the complete list:

Fi X - 2A3 SET amp
Phillips SACD 1000
Galante Rhapsody speakers
Zu Varial IC
Acoustic Zen Satori speaker wires
Virtual Dynamics Reference cryo power cord (cdp)

Act 1: (Rhapsody)
The Galante Rhapsodys hooked up to my Quicksilver amps proved a pleasant experience but one that left as many questions as answers. The PP Quicksilvers were just able to show the hidden potential and promise of the Rhapsodys, while falling on its face in a few key areas. I couldn't tell at which end of the line that the failings rested.

It was strange because I found myself listening at an avg. of 4 to 5 dB higher than with my former LS3/5A. The LS3/5A have an upper bass to lower midrange bump in its response curve in addition to having a notably forward midrange response. I guess I was boosting the vol. looking for a famliar sound, while the increased resolution and clarity found in the Rhapsodys also encouraged this as well.

Vocals are a well known strength in the LS3/5A. The Rhapsody/Quicksilver, while it could not match the fullness of the LS3/5As forward midrange, did show some its own strengths in this area.

Act:2 (The Fi arrives)
The Fi X SET amp has proved to have a strong synergistic relationship with the Rhapsodys. The Fi has a much stronger midrange presence than the Quicksilvers which has brought the sound of the Rhapsodys closer to its full potential (I imagine), and much closer to what I was looking for.

The midband sweetness is back. The hollow bodied resonances of classical stringed instruments, the shimmery attack/decay of the solo piano, and that awesome tone of the lead guitar in Heart's Magic Man (Dreanboat Annie - DCC) all come to the fore with remarkable clarity and authority. Tony Rice's acoustic guitar (Unit Of Measure) is amazing. Vocals are now sweet and full, with a pleasing sense of warmth and body. I'm happy.

These speakers are definitely weak in the lower-octave but at this price point, I am willing to make compromises in that area rather than fostering mediocrity across a wider spectrum. The sub-woofer hasn't been connected yet, mainly because I am loathe to introduce phase and coherence issues into my system. I will probably use it for rock music eventually.

Nov 1, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #24 of 26
I have a pair of RCA 2A3 black plates coming. I will experiment with my 45 tubes, but because of the horizontal plate issue, will not use them long term in the X. The 45s are earmarked for a future project.
wink.gif

I have 60+ hr. on the X now, and the sound has opened up considerably. The system as a whole is much more resolving, while the highs have become noticably smoother. The midrange has bloomed beautifully. This SET sound really is very different from that of my push pull experience. There is a strong sense of wholeness that was completely absent before. Prior to this, if anyone had told me an amplifier could make this much of a difference, I would have laughed.

Nov 1, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 26
Wait, look! Over there, on the horizon! Yes, yes, those are 300Bs! Is it one or two? I think I see two 300Bs!
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back