X-Fi XtremeMusic, AMp needed?
Oct 29, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 16
I have an X-Fi Xtreme Music. At the moment I have K701's which sound great out of the X-fi, but my LDII+ made it sound a whole lot better. I had an issue with some type of hum, so I think it may be a ground loop. I have to wait for a new tube to find out since one decided to blow for some reason.

Conclusion: You don't necessarily need a DAC/Amp. Look for headphones with a not too high impedence. Most things can be driven by the X-fi, it depends if it's driven well. If you want to not get an amp, go for something with a lower impedence (maybe 32-80 ohms tops)

Just my thoughts.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 16
thx pyro

"go for something with a lower impedence (maybe 32-80 ohms tops)"

this is what i wanted to know, very helpful!
now need to find the right headphones. any good headphones u can recommend ? headphones > iem by a whole lot too rite? i only tried iems >.<

also gd luck on fixing that hum problem of yours.

Oct 29, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evisu
thx pyro

"go for something with a lower impedence (maybe 32-80 ohms tops)"

this is what i wanted to know, very helpful!
now need to find the right headphones. any good headphones u can recommend ? headphones > iem by a whole lot too rite? i only tried iems >.<

also gd luck on fixing that hum problem of yours.

Hmmm. Headphones are not always greater than IEMs. It also depends on preferences. I hate sticking things in my ears. I love the comfort of full sized headphones. I can't recommend headphones if I don't know a price range.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
If you want to not get an amp, go for something with a lower impedence

That nonsense gets repeated often on head-fi. Can you provide a rational explanation for this recommendation of yours?

To the OP: I wouldn't worry about the tech stuff, but if you really want to know about this stuff, read a serious book/paper/website... if you ask about this stuff on an audiophool forum, you'll hear lots of nonsense. And, as you say, next thing you know you'll be buying Nordhost cables.
Simply get a headphone that's appropriate for your taste and your music... there's no substitute to listening to many different ones for yourself unfortunately.

Oct 29, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
That nonsense gets repeated often on head-fi. Can you provide a rational explanation for this recommendation of yours?

Lower impedence is easier to drive. As simple as that.

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat
Wrong. As simple as that. :)

So you're saying a 600 ohm impedence headphone is as easy to drive as a 32 ohm headphone? I don't think I'm wrong on saying that is untrue...

Oct 31, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
So you're saying a 600 ohm impedence headphone is as easy to drive as a 32 ohm headphone? I don't think I'm wrong on saying that is untrue...

A 32 ohm Grado SR 225 is easy to drive but very difficult to "properly" drive. An X-Fi has plenty of juice to drive them but they will sound like ****.

There are lots of amps with plenty of power to easily drive SR 225's but not all of them will do it well. There are very few amps that really make the Grado's sing.

Oct 31, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 16
My 250ohm DT880's work fine out of my x-fi, but it's almost comical how substantially degraded the SQ is compared to my MicroStack (or just my MicroAmp alone). Cheap bass, incredible tinny sounding highs, just about no midrange, etc.

They sound quite a bit better from the front panel, but still not anywhere near my microstack / microamp.

Just plan on buying an amp
wink.gif

Oct 31, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
They sound quite a bit better from the front panel, but still not anywhere near my microstack / microamp.

Don't you bypass the dac too then? Different thing.

Nov 12, 2006 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 16
Help me out here... Why would the phones sound better out of a factory headphone jack than the x-fi? I'm curious because I use my MDR-v6s out of my x-fi and it sounds much better than the factory jack.

Nov 12, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo
No, I'm talking about the headphone output on the front panel.

Yes, but you're comparing Microdac combo which means it not only amps but also acts as a dac. So you're not just comparing the amping power but the whole chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back