X-Fi Xtreme Music ==> E-MU 0404USB
Jun 9, 2007 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

EdgedKriSs

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I love head-fi and I do search the forums, but can't find convincing info whether it will have difference in the SQ if I "replace" my Xtreme Music with E-MU 0404 USB.
I think that with my current "rig", which is Xtreme Music and AKG K81DJ, the sound is very bloated. Despite the fact K81s are claimed to be a little bit boomy I think that bloated sound isn't because of them, 'cuz I tried them on Sony STR-DE695 Receiver (it's not quality stuff but at least it's seven times the price of X-Fi) and it was WAY, WAY better.
I DO NOT play games anymore.
Do I need this "replacement" or I just stick with my X-Fi? My budget is limited to $200.
Any suggestions are warmly welcomed.

[size=xx-small]Sorry for my poor english.[/size]

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 16
Have you tried to use the audio creation mode,set it to bitperfect and turn off any cristallizer or 3d headphone?

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Last time i checked the AKG K81's where bloated like hell.

Jun 9, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 16
Music sounds much better with the 0404USB vs the Xfi Xtreme Music. I have both and still use both for different purposes. I now shutter in abhoring disgust (total dismay that at one time I thought the XFi was good for music) when I inadvertently play music without first switching over to the 0404USB. Highs and mids (especially vocal and piano) are far more detailed, and base is tighter and smoother. The Xfi has a rather harsh base IMO; but, I keep it connected to my Z5500 for games and movies.

Jun 9, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #5 of 16
10x for the replies!
Chrysoberyl, I've tried ACM with bitperfect and all "extras" off, but then it sounds worse than some MB soundcard - total lack of bass and no clue of atmosphere. X-Fi is strange card - in ACM it's plastic sounding, and in Entertainment Mode it's overbloated...

Dragon Rider, 10x, I'll probably go with the E-MU, but may be at the end of the month.
Until then, I'll be happy to see more opinions...
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #6 of 16
You could try modding your X-fi, there's a pretty long thread started on it. It took away some of the muddiness of the x-fi. The emu 0404 usb is an external solution and has a better DAC, it's a pretty good jump in sound quality.

Jun 10, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdgedKriSs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
I love head-fi and I do search the forums, but can't find convincing info whether it will have difference in the SQ if I "replace" my Xtreme Music with E-MU 0404 USB.
I think that with my current "rig", which is Xtreme Music and AKG K81DJ, the sound is very bloated. Despite the fact K81s are claimed to be a little bit boomy I think that bloated sound isn't because of them, 'cuz I tried them on Sony STR-DE695 Receiver (it's not quality stuff but at least it's seven times the price of X-Fi) and it was WAY, WAY better.
I DO NOT play games anymore.
Do I need this "replacement" or I just stick with my X-Fi? My budget is limited to $200.[/SIZE]

Stick with your receiver. Run it digitally to your receiver and that's it. I find that my receiver also sounds way better than either the x-fi (elite pro) or the emu 0404 usb.

Jun 11, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 16
Hi, rgardless of what other people say, i find the amping capabilities of the 0404USB too feeble for the HD580. I bought it based on others opinions and now i'm sorry. I wonder, what standalone amp would be the equivalent of the internal amp of emu?Want to know this in order to understand what changes should i do first.... Thanks

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #9 of 16
10x for the replies again!
maarek99, I also would like to use the receiver, but it's not exactly mine. So this option is undesirable.
smily_headphones1.gif

OvidiuDanut, my headphones aren't so hard to drive plus I don't listen to music loud. I'm more interested in SQ for my $200.
smily_headphones1.gif

For now, brokensound, I don't want to DIY the XFI.

Jun 13, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizmo90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is how does the E-MU 0404USB comapre to a "hotrodded" X-Fi XtremeMusic?

i want to know this tooo

Jun 14, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 16
The X-Meridian and the soon to be released Auzen XFi Prelude, just to name two.

Aug 13, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #14 of 16
My 0404USB has arrived today!
Definitely an upgrade over X-Fi Xtreme Music. Unbelievable detail and far more balanced presentation. It has clear highs without fatigue. Mids are liquid and don't irritate like X-fi's mids do. Lows are tighter and more punchy.

It's strange, but X-Fi is very disappointing sound card, imo. I think even SB Audigy SE (which was my first sound card) was better, despite being boomy. Audigy just have its sweet unrefined sound which is fun to listen to whereas X-Fi has a potential but produce cut off and rugged sound.

By the way, 0404's integrated amp is really feeble, but drives my k81 quite well.

Overall, I'm very impressed and happy with 0404USB.
icon10.gif

Next stop - Sennheiser HD595...

P.S.: I'm with MB ASUS A8N-E which uses nForce4 and I've got no popping/clicking sound.
And one more thing, has someone found a way to force foobar to remember its ASIO settings?

Aug 14, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdgedKriSs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And one more thing, has someone found a way to force foobar to remember its ASIO settings?

Sure.....use Foobar 0.8.3 rather than a newer version!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back