X-Fi with DAC
Jul 10, 2006 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
I am a bit confused as to what exactly a DAC does. From what I have read, it converts digital audio to analog? If so, what are the benefits of this?

I'm really trying to plan out my parts before going ahead and making my mass purchase.

My plans right now are:

X-Fi<<Zu Pivot cable<<Zhaolu<<Zu Pivot<<Gilmore Lite<<K701's

does this seem like a decent setup or is there something I should add/remove?

Jul 10, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 16
Yes, it will. The DACs on the X-fi are rather crappy. Unless you have the elite pro, which has slightly better DACs, but an external DAC would still be a lot better.

Jul 10, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Yes, it will. The DACs on the X-fi are rather crappy. Unless you have the elite pro, which has slightly better DACs, but an external DAC would still be a lot better.

This confuses me. As I understand it, when using an external DAC one is completely bypassing the soundcard. If so, is even a cheap soundcard with coaxial/optical out not sufficient? What's the benefit of an expensive sound card if one is going to bypass it and use an external DAC?

Jul 10, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by milhouse6
This confuses me. As I understand it, when using an external DAC one is completely bypassing the soundcard. If so, is even a cheap soundcard with coaxial/optical out not sufficient? What's the benefit of an expensive sound card if one is going to bypass it and use an external DAC?

The only thing is the whole thing with jitter. I am not worried about it myself, but people tend to sometimes like higher end sources that have low jitter rates and are good as a transport.

What he is saying is that the x-fi xtrememusic, platnium and fatal1ty have ****** dacs (and dacs are on every sound card.) The elite pro has better dacs because it is a different card.

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #7 of 16
Yes, an external DAC such as the Zhaolu will drastically improve SQ, and if you add the upgraded headamp (I consider it to be on par with a HeadFive) you'll have a powerhouse combo.

By using the digital out on the X-Fi you will:
1) retain all of the X-Fi DSP's (EAX, CMSS3D, Crystalizer, etc).
2) can still use the mode switcher
3) have bit-perfect out @ 44.1 kHz (in audio creation mode)

Use a 3.5mm to RCA mono coax cable (see my sig for the link). The X-Fi also has onboard hardware AC3/DTS decoding.
smily_headphones1.gif
Not only is it the best gaming card on the market, it is also an excellent "audiophile" card.

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 16
I just went all out and purchased the X-Fi Elite Pro which has 4 very nice DACs on it, the same DACs used by hifi audio products.

That way I get get excellent game support and good audio.

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 16
Umm... The DACs on the elite pro are better than the other X-fi cards, but still pale when compared to an external DAC.

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
Umm... The DACs on the elite pro are better than the other X-fi cards, but still pale when compared to an external DAC.

Heh, yeah, although some people have been really talking well about the elite pro dacs. Still, it's a gaming card no matter how you put it, and even though I game very little today, I still appreciate it for the fact it's got so many inputs and outputs and is a consumer card.

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003

Well it depends on what you use. The DACs on the elite pro are used in external dacs and high end cd players. Is it is good as the $1,000+ DACs? No, but they do sound good, much better than the EMU0404 I was using, which by comparision is less detailed and harsh.

Jul 10, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 16
Jul 10, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Yes, that is what MOST dacs/amps use. There are a few that use others however, like a mini-to-mini, mini-to-RCA, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back