X-Fi with an AV-710?
Jun 7, 2006 at 6:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fiz

Head-Fier
Well recently I picked up a Headroom Micro amp and currently have it plugged into my X-Fi XtremeMusic, so there is a double amping going on which I do not like the idea of. I currently own Senn. HD555's, HD580's, and a pair of AKG K501's. I like the sound but with certain recordings there appears to be some clipping occuring, I am unsure if it is my source (X-Fi) or the recordings. This clipping seems to be happening on loud treble and it seems to be the same note, no matter the headphones I am using.

I feel like there is better out there for music listening and since registering for this forum I have discovered the Chaintech AV-710 and it seems to be exactly what I am looking for, with only one problem. I am a big gamer and I am very happy with what the X-Fi provides in this department. Am I going to be able to use both the AV-710 and the X-Fi at the same time in my computer? I am concerned with compatability issues and have not found any input specifically with the 710 and X-Fi in the same machine.

Am I going to run into any potential issues with this setup?

Jun 7, 2006 at 10:33 AM Post #2 of 8
Hmmm, I doubt that to be the right cure for your problem, as the Chaintech surely doesn't offer any better analogue audio quality than the Creative. I'd recommend to perform some checks and I've got some additional questions, instead:

First, reduce the volume(s) of your X-Fi, increase the volume on your Micro accordingly and listen whether the problem remains. If not, problem solved: Just switch your Micro to a lower gain setting, so you can turn up your X-Fi again.

Do you listen in very high volume, btw? Oh, and is the problem volume setting dependent at all - or will it only sound distorted when there's loud treble on the recording, no matter how loud you listen to that? In the latter case, welcome to the plethora of badly recorded cds - which unfortunately become all the more obvious, the better one's setup gets... *sigh*

I guess that should do for now...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 7, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 8
I do not adjust the EQ settings, infact it is not even enabled. I have tried lowering the volume in the settings for the X-Fi and then adjusting with the Micro but the problem still exists, even on the low gain setting. I do not listen to my headphones at real high volumes, usually a max of about 83 decibals.

I was under the impression that the AV-710 had a superior DAC (Wolfson) than the XtremeMusic has. Am I wrong in this regard?

Jun 10, 2006 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 8
Well I would just like to report that I have them both in my computer running fine. I would also like to add the sound quality is noticeably better with music on the AV-710, especially noticeable in the lower end (will do further listening and report back).

Jun 16, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 8
thx fiz for trying out using both the AV-710 and X-fi in your rig. i was wondering the same thing for awhile! i'm probably going to use it as a transport (optical out) for my DAC since i'm still unsure and worried whether or not i'll need to switch off my speakers and change the settings in windows every time i wanted to listen to music if i attached my DAC to the X-Fi via the "Flexi-Jack".

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 8
A lot of CD's are mastered "hot", so the best solution I have found for the X-Fi is to use Audio creation mode (I use 44.1 kHz & bit-perfect) and lower the Level (dB) to -3.0dB. When I play Sammy's Marching to Mars Little White Lies starts clipping @ the 1:42 mark and the bars are pegged red throughout the song @ 0 dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back