X-fi vs DAC
Apr 27, 2006 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GuOD

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

So I am currently using Xfi-->Glite-->HD650 and I'm loving it. However, I'm finding it annoying to swap between speakers and my headphones on the FR/FL channel plug. I'm wondering how much I would need to spend on a DAC in order to get decent sound quality, better than the X-fi? Also, could I go:

X-fi digital i/o bit Matched --> Dac --->Glite-->hd650?

Thanks!

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 10
i would say $300 minimum for it to be worth it on the dac. cant you just use a splitter and turn off the speakers or headphone amp when not in use?
my dac upgrade sure made me happy

Apr 27, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by glenmorangie
i would say $300 minimum for it to be worth it on the dac. cant you just use a splitter and turn off the speakers or headphone amp when not in use?
my dac upgrade sure made me happy

That's what I've actually been doing but I ran into a small problem. Now the splitter won't fit (speakers are 5.1) and pci card is at the bottom.

I found a little extension cord (dirt cheap panasonic earbud extension) which I use. I was wondering if using all these cheap interconnects/adapters defeats the purpose of having Xfi+Glite+Hd650?

Current setup would be:

X-fi --> cheap earbud extesnions --> stero mini splitter ---> mini to rca -->glite -->hd650

Would I be better of just buying a decent splitter/mini to rca cable and then just stick with that or will I not even hear a difference?

I had a second question. I noticed that when I have X-fi Audio Console open and monitor playback, the bars are almost always full (ie; green/yellow/red bars show) and it's up to 0. Is the red bad? I noticed if I mp3gain a song down to 89 then there's no longer red. Any input also appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 10
I would imagine a fiarly cheap DAC should sound at least as good as the X-Fi. It has good outputs, but nothing stellar. Maybe the Spitfire. Looks like a pretty solid, simple design that won't break the bank.

As for output levels you want them maxed. Digital output is referenced on a 0-based scale called full scale. So maximum level is 0dBFS, and everything else is expressed in negatives below that. The closer to 0dB you are, the more of your dynamic range you are using.

Given that modern music is limited all to hell, I'm not supprised the metres stay hot all the time. Best to leave it all turned up, and regulate your volume later. They use red just because, well, lots of metres do. It's not like a tape metre where green topped out at 0 and past that you were saturating the tape.

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 10
i hear distortion when it goes into the red...especially in the bass
is it just my imagination?

Apr 28, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 10
Possibly just your imagination. What kind of distortion? Smooth, compression distortion ala tube? Harsh transistor distortion. Brick wall digital clipping? You might be clipping somewhere in the digital signal chain and need to fix it.

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 10
i would say digital clipping..harsh and unpleasant. it it definetly there when the wave slider is all the way up and the monitor is in the red i just checked again . or am i doing something wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated
i have it set to 11.2 here but even at zero i can hear it especially in a louder section of track. anytime it goes red..distortion. sounds good when it below zero and ther is no red, but i have a feeling something is wrong and i am missing out

distortion8zm.jpg

Apr 29, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 10
even when i have the xfi in entertainment mode...the volume must be kept at around 75 percent or i get the clipping as well
shouldnt 100 percent volume send a clean signal to the dac?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back