X-Fi, using 3.5mm phono to RCA adapter will reducing SQ?
Jan 21, 2008 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Capunk

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
Whoever use X-Fi Xtrememusic as Digital-out transport to external DAC or other similar soundcard.

If I use this Mono 3.5mm phono plug to RCA plug adapter like this,
1155808691PLG178.jpg

Will this adapter bottle-neck the output sound quality from the X-FI to my external DAC? I'm using a similar adapter that even look cheaper than the picture above.

Because, I'm planning to get a decent coax cable later on, but if this adapter will ruin the setup later on, perhaps I'd better off asking Blue Jeans Cable to build me a digital coax cable with 3.5mm plug at one end?

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #2 of 8
I think as long as the cable is functional it would make no difference, adapter or not. Digital is not enhanced buy a higher quality cable as long as it is functional ( with in reason of course ) I would think. They do custom so if you do get one, might as well get the connector you need.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm concerning the 75 ohm impedance, digital coax cable and Coax RCA plug are required to be in the same impedance, for a proper digital coax cable.

This adapter just change 3.5mm into standard RCA plug, which I'm concern impedance mismatch with the digital coax cable.

Jan 22, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 8
Thnx for your inputs anyway,
but is there anyone here use the adapter?

Jan 22, 2008 at 8:03 AM Post #6 of 8
I had the same setup a while back, no problems. In theory if it works it works, no signal loss since it's digital. I used a bling gold mono adapter from Radio shack however, it only cost a few bucks and I still have it lying around somewhere. The cable I used had some serious connector action too, very secure connection.

Jan 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 8
It's soo damn hard to find this adapter on Australia.
3.5mmmono-phono.jpg

I guess the standard adapter will get some problem with impedance mismatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back