X-fi Titanium or Titanium HD is there any difference at all that would benefit a gamer?
Oct 4, 2012 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dannykebab

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I am an avid gamer playing DayZ which runs on the arma 2 engine and the Xaudio sound engine I currently have a asus xonar DGX but I want to experience the superior positional sound that comes with creative sound cards, so my question is what discernable differences are there between the Titanium and the Titanium HD version will I notice any difference in positional sound in games and what features/software does the normal version lack compared to the HD?

Many thanks in advance :)

Oct 5, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 4
With the Titanium HD, you're mostly getting better analog output quality. Whether that's something you'll notice in games or your equipment is another matter.

Because ArmA II uses XAudio2, don't expect a dramatic improvement with CMSS-3D Headphone there. (If we were talking ArmA 1, that would be a different matter.) If you want a really noticeable improvement, you have to try it with something that uses DirectSound3D (with ALchemy) or OpenAL, as those games provide actual 3D coordinates instead of 7.1 speaker positions, along with having audio processing on the X-Fi DSP instead of your CPU.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 4
Thank you for your reply :) so let me throw another card into the mix what about the Creative Recon3D how would that fare against the titanium cards? Oh and just to add I am using Audio technica AD700's for headphones

Cheers again...

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #4 of 4
Recon3D? If the internal cards are anything like the USB version, don't bother. You'd actually be losing a lot of capabilities compared to a proper X-Fi card.

For starters, Creative's software OpenAL renderer (which the Recon3D devices use) has some quirks and bugs that don't occur with the hardware OpenAL implementation on the X-Fi DSP. Then there's how THX TruStudio Surround sounds much worse than CMSS-3D Headphone IMHO.

With the AD700, you at least won't have any issues amplification-wise with whatever sound card you choose. They're quite sensitive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back