X-Fi Titanium as DAC
Apr 10, 2009 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

theAEoN

New Head-Fier
Hey,

So I'm upgrading my setup right now. So far I just purchased Beyern DT770 Pro 250ohm headphones and I plan on connecting those to a Little Dot MK III. My primary source is FLAC or 320kbps MP3's. The dillema I have is if the X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty is sufficent as a DAC or should I:

1. Mod it somehow to improve it. If so - anybody else do it with this particular X-fi? I searched through the hotrodding thread and they only showed diagrams for the full-size PCI x-fi so I'm wondering what the differences are. I'm pretty confortable with soldering and I certainly wouldn't mind the DIY work.

2. Just buy a Zero DAC.

3. Some other DAC that is between $100-$300.

Cheers.

Apr 10, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 4
I would definitely try your x-fi without getting a dac first. If you don't like the sound, then you might want to get a separate DAC. But most of headfiers will tell you to get a DAC now because you will eventually buy one anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #3 of 4
Ya, I forgot to mention that I wouldn't mind the solution to be good for gaming. Sine I haven't heard anything about external DACs and gaming, I'm shying away from what alternative.

I'm looking at the Xonar Essence now as an option, but before I do that - I'd be interested in knowing how my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty's DAC stand up to the Xonar?

Jul 21, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by theAEoN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ya, I forgot to mention that I wouldn't mind the solution to be good for gaming. Sine I haven't heard anything about external DACs and gaming, I'm shying away from what alternative.

I'm looking at the Xonar Essence now as an option, but before I do that - I'd be interested in knowing how my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty's DAC stand up to the Xonar?

what did you decide on?

i have a x-fi titanium fatal1ty champ coming ..but am thinking of going with the xonar stx instead. i do a good mix of music and gaming, and i'm looking for the best card for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back