X-Fi SPDIF: Prelude vs. Titanium
Sep 16, 2008 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Zorlac

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently playing a native OpenAL+EAX game called Lord of the Rings Online on my PC.

I used to use headphones that connected directly to the 3.5mm analog output on my X-Fi Prelude. In this setup, I could use hardware accelerated audio with EAX effects without problems in 2 channel stereo mode.

I am now using the digital SPDIF coax output into an external DAC which then runs to a headphone amp. Lord of the Rings Online no longer outputs sound in hardware mode. Instead, I have to use software mode. Sounds great still, but I have noticed that a lot of the ambient noises/effects are way to quiet now and I cant really hear them.

Is it true that the Prelude does not support hardware accelerated audio when using the digital SPDIF output, but the X-Fi Titanium from Creative Labs does?

Also, I noticed that I cannot set the bit depth for the SPDIF settings in the Prelude config panel because it is greyed out. The manual says I should be able to set the bit depth. I am not using Dolby Digital Live, so I am guessing this is why it is greyed out.

I really cant see downgrading to a Titanium, but I would like hardware accelerated audio in games back. That is the whole reason I even have a X-Fi. So do I have to buy a Titanium now???

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 36
I doubt that the Titanium would be any different.

Because all the sound processing is going out to a DAC, the sound card can't apply it's special sauce to the sound.

You must use the sound card's DAC for EAX and the like.

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 36
So the card is truly a transport then because it is strictly taking the sound it receives and transporting it to the external DAC?

What happens when you use software acceleration in games then that would reduce details/volume levels in gaming sounds? I thought hardware acceleration just reduced CPU usage since the APU takes over processing...

I wish I could at least test a Titanium to see how it actually works ...heh
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #4 of 36
Software acceleration is probably just a different audio code.

For example, instead of using Creative's sound tech, for software sound they would use OpenAL, or some others that I can't name off the top of my head...

Its pretty much a different audio process that isn't optimized for Creative's cards.

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that the Titanium would be any different.

Because all the sound processing is going out to a DAC, the sound card can't apply it's special sauce to the sound.

You must use the sound card's DAC for EAX and the like.

Weird, EAX works well on my X-Fi when I hooked it to external DAC, I think they can send EAX through SPDIF, regardless they Creative or Auzentech cards

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 36
It is my understanding that hardware accelerated OpenAL+EAX will only work on the Prelude's SPDIF out if you enable Dolby Digital Live. This was how I understood Auzentech's response when I emailed them.

Thing is I am only using a 2 channel stereo headphone DAC that does not support DDL.

Someone on another forum mentioned to me awhile back that Creative Labs branded X-Fi cards do not have this problem...meaning that they can indeed send hardware accelerated OpenAL+EAX out through SPDIF.

So does anyone have a Creative Labs branded X-Fi (i.e. Titanium)that is using SPDIF out, Vista, a native OpenAL game and is able to use hardware mode for sound instead of software mode?

Sep 16, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorlac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is my understanding that hardware accelerated OpenAL+EAX will only work on the Prelude's SPDIF out if you enable Dolby Digital Live. This was how I understood Auzentech's response when I emailed them.

Thing is I am only using a 2 channel stereo headphone DAC that does not support DDL.

Someone on another forum mentioned to me awhile back that Creative Labs branded X-Fi cards do not have this problem...meaning that they can indeed send hardware accelerated OpenAL+EAX out through SPDIF.

So does anyone have a Creative Labs branded X-Fi (i.e. Titanium)that is using SPDIF out, Vista, a native OpenAL game and is able to use hardware mode for sound instead of software mode?

Well, I have an xfi platinum, vista 32, and all drivers up to date. I check SPIDF out as default, in the vista audio control pannel. I dont use any EAX game, but I got Penumbra installed which has a hardware audio option, and works great with the SPIDF out.(its only stereo)
I've noticed, that when the SPIDF is checked as default, audio is transported directly to the card, some kind of ""vista asio"", you can listen to music in Winamp with the asio output, but theres no sound when you use Winamp directsound output.
So, I think you should go for the xfi. Maybe these days im going to install any eax game and be more precisse.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 36
Prelude DOES NOT support EAX effects through it's spdif out (unless using dolby live). X-FI cards DO support. I replaced my Prelude with an x-fi because of this fact.

The proper way to use spdif with an x-fi is to use the speakers out and enable digital out instead of the mic port. That way you will get EAX effects (and hardware acceleration) to your DAC. Does not work with the Prelude because it doesn't have that option of enabling just the digital out.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 36
Thanks for testing that for me! Hopefully others will be able to post their findings.

If I can find a local shop that allows returns, then I may have to puchase a Titanium to test it out.

Just to summarize, I can select hardware OpenAL+EAX via SPDIF out in Lord of the Rings Online, but then there is absolutely NO sound at all. If I then select software mode in game, I have sound.

EDIT: Awesome maarke99!! Thank you soo much! Now I would like to know why Auzen's X-Fi Prelude is missing this feature???

EDIT2: Would be nice if Auzen had a warning about this. At least I could not find anything and when emailing them, their responses are always very cryptic and hard to decipher.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #12 of 36
That's strange because I get full EAX sound through my setup?

X-Fi Prelude -> Toslink -> Headroom Balanced Desktop+DAC

I'm not even using Dolby Digital Live but the effects are 100% there. I used to have an X-Fi Elite Pro and I am definitely getting the same effects I always have.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prelude DOES NOT support EAX effects through it's spdif out (unless using dolby live). X-FI cards DO support. I replaced my Prelude with an x-fi because of this fact.

The proper way to use spdif with an x-fi is to use the speakers out and enable digital out instead of the mic port. That way you will get EAX effects (and hardware acceleration) to your DAC. Does not work with the Prelude because it doesn't have that option of enabling just the digital out.

I tried your way but I dont find any option digital out in the control panel. However when I use speakers out as default, I got problems with Windvd (configured as SPIDF out to external processor) cause theres no sound on the rear speakers.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried your way but I dont find any option digital out in the control panel. However when I use speakers out as default, I got problems with Windvd (configured as SPIDF out to external processor) cause theres no sound on the rear speakers.

Volume Console -> settings -> Flexijack mode.

Set it to Digital I/O. Then it will output digitally when using speakers. Make sure you have speakers set to 5.1 to get rear speakers working.

Sep 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume Console -> settings -> Flexijack mode.

Set it to Digital I/O. Then it will output digitally when using speakers. Make sure you have speakers set to 5.1 to get rear speakers working.

No, still the same. It works for the dts files, but not for dvd. It seems like xfi decodes fully only when spidf out is checked as default, in vista audio panel.
If you have Windvd or Power dvd installed, configure audio set up to "Digital (SPIDF)out to external processor" so audio is tranported raw to Xfi. This was the way I used in xp with no problems, but with vista you should check playback devices, SPIDF default. This way the volume knob has no efect anymore. I dont like it, but its the way it goes in vista.
Correct me, if I got it all wrong...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back