X-Fi prelude + OPA627SM+ opamp upgrade - any good?
May 6, 2008 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hadouken

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying the OPA627SM+ opamp upgrade for my X-fi prelude, my question is; will this setup be comparable to an external amp/DAC (if worse, then how much so)? I've recently ordered the senn HD650's as well , mainly for use with trance/electronic music.

Opamp upgrade -> http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/opamp_627sm.php

I know people say external amps are better but I've also heard the sound quality is only as good as the weakest link in the chain, so I figure why not have a small but high quality chain?
smily_headphones1.gif

Any thoughts?

May 6, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by hadouken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will this setup be comparable to an external amp/DAC (if worse, then how much so)?

Any thoughts?

Your question is hard to answer, given that nobody has heard/compared everything at this price range.

I think your soundcard will sound fine, especially if you can figure out some further mods at a later date. Why don't you just try the opamp tweak first then see if you're happy with the results?

May 7, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by asuka10456 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any soldering required to switch opamps on the prelude?

Nope, the opamps are swappable on the prelude, no engineering degree necessary.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Your question is hard to answer, given that nobody has heard/compared everything at this price range.

I think your soundcard will sound fine, especially if you can figure out some further mods at a later date. Why don't you just try the opamp tweak first then see if you're happy with the results?

The small matter of the $250 cost.
wink.gif
I guess I'll just take the jump and see what theyre like, guess I can always ebay them after.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back