X-fi Platinum: How good is headphone out?
Feb 12, 2007 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

dacari

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I'm planning to upgrade my Audigy, and now, computer is my main source to listen thru headphones (Grado 80).
I saw Platinum's rack, and I think will be an easy solution...but how good is X-fi Plat. for music? How good is the amp? I wouldn't add an axternal amp.

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #2 of 16
The X-Fi is much much better than the Audigy for music. As far as an Amp goes I can only tell you what I experienced. The X-Fi lost clarity in high volume and the hi volume was a little weak to start with.

Keep in mind I was running an Audigy when I switched to a X-Fi. In that regard the X-Fi is 3 times better than an Audigy.

I ended up adding a Headroom Desktop Balanced Amp with upgraded DAC and Home module. If that is over your budget, it killed mine, you could get a lower priced Amp. There are quite a few for $100 - $200. I do not know enough about them to recommend one.

My HD 580 Senn, upgraded balanced cables, and Headroom Desktop Balanced Amp sounds great.

With that said X-Fi sounds good to start with and an inexpensive Amp may be all you need.

Feb 12, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 16
I have no problem with Audio-technicas. Sure they don't require an amp, but they are pretty sensitive to hiss. There is none on my fatality as far as I can tell. (platinum = fatality w/o x-ram).

Feb 12, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #5 of 16
I would assume the XtremeMusic is better for music (although the plat is supposed to be an upgrade of sorts to the XtremeMusic). OT: threEchelon, I love your avatar, that game is nuts.

Feb 12, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 16
Platinum = Xtreme music with front panel.

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 16
The whole X-Fi line should sound the same... except for the Elite Pro, which has a better DAC than the others.

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would assume the XtremeMusic is better for music (although the plat is supposed to be an upgrade of sorts to the XtremeMusic). OT: threEchelon, I love your avatar, that game is nuts.

Thanks
cool.gif
. N game is definitely the best flash game of all time.

Have you beaten the game yet? 88 - 4 is the biggest bitch ever. It took me days to beat
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ahriman4891 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Platinum = Xtreme music with front panel.

xtreme music has lower quality DAC's aswell, but as the first upgrade would be an external DAC this is not worth the price.

Feb 13, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #12 of 16
^

I really don't think so. Elite Pro has better DACs than the other 3 models, which have identical DACs.

However, I'm not familiar with the newest additions to the x-fi line (xtreme gamer and so on). Maybe you meant those?

Feb 13, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dacari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And Emu 0404?
I've read has a good headphone output... but Could I use 4040 like main soundcard? I'll throw away my audigy value, if this is possible
rs1smile.gif

Better still... you can put both the EMU 404 and the X-Fi in the same PC. They can co-exist quite nicely. So you'll have EAX covered for games, and great audio quality for music.

Feb 13, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The whole X-Fi line should sound the same... except for the Elite Pro, which has a better DAC than the others.

Avoid the XtremeAudio, its a very cheep stripped down X-Fi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back