X-Fi or Z-series? Optical-out, so I only need surround DSP effects (CMSS-3D, DD, DTS, THX)
Dec 3, 2014 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Aelius

Head-Fier
I'm building a new PC and I'm figuring out which sound card to choose.

I don't intend to use the sound card's DAC at all. I basically just need a sound card with good DSP for movies and games as well as 3D positioning (to the extent that modern games haven't butchered it,) and that's all that I'll be using it for since I'll just be feeding the DSP'd audio digitally through S/PDIF into my DAC/amp.

My equipment:

1. Audio-DG NFB 12.1 DAC/amp
  2. Sennheiser HD-600
  3. S/PDIF optical connection
  4. Windows 7 (could be relevant for driver bug/compatibility concerns)

I've done hours of research, including pouring through pages of comments on Nameless's guide to PC audio, but I've heard so many conflicting opinions about the merits of the X-Fi Titanium vs. the newer Z-series with its Sound Core3D. Some people revile what they claim are buggy software/drivers for the Titaniums. Others criticize the Sound Core3D-based chipset of the Z-series for being more or less a software codec and swear by the Titaniums. I heard one gentleman deride the Z-series as "too bassy and tries to appeal to the crowd that thinks Dr Dre beats headphones are high quality for their price." Still, others praise the Z-series. It's especially hard to research this because not everyone has my set up; some people have speakers or use the card's headphone jack.

By the way, I hope I'm not being unfair by excluding the ASUS cards from consideration, but I'm under the impression that Creative has an exclusive license on things like CMSS-3D and EAX3-5, and thus that the ASUS cards wouldn't really make much sense for me, unless I'm mistaken.

Any advice?

Dec 3, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 3
Find out if the features you need can be outpt through optical. I use the Xonar DG optical output to a FiiO DAC. The Xonar DG supports Dolby Headphone which I use for games and movies. It also has a eax emulator but I never use it. Do any recent games use EAX?

Dec 3, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 3
I have an X-Fi Titanium Champion and do love it, but I have also read/heard many good things about the Z-series cards. I have never heard a Z card, but I did regretfully buy a Recon3D when they first came out and that card was terrible. I know this isn't really useful advice. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back