X-FI or any other Creative stuff anyone
Jun 10, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 13
Given the reputation for sound from any of Creatives other products, I have no reason to suspect this one's much different.

I think this quote is fitting.
"Its better than onboard sound, but that ain't really saying much"

I've actually used a Auzentech Prelude with x-fi chip, thinking that I'll at least appreciate the improved features and functionality, but I was wrong. The sound was pretty good/decent, but I couldn't stand the drivers.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #3 of 13
I can't remember which member it was, but they once wrote that they were amazed people even mentioned they had Creative stuff in their equipment inventory, since it probably meant they had no idea how much better things could be. At the time I dismissed those comments, but after ditching the X-Fi and installing an ASUS Xonar, boy oh boy have I now seen the light
eek.gif
. I'll stick to Creative for computer gaming from now on, but that is most certainly all. I don't even know why people would go to the trouble of modding Creative cards when for less money there are now cards around of the calibre of the Xonar, let alone the cards made for dedicated audiophile purposes. But more specifically on the original question, unfortunately Creative seems to have a "house" sound, unles you like modding and tinkering.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 13
What product are you referring to? I am a little lost looking at the website, I see a USB thing, and an xmod. Is it one of those?

Jun 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 13
I am not an expert, but I would think an amp/dac combo like the iBasso would help. There are many reviews on this site, and comparisons. A little searching will go a long way to helping decide which one you want.

Jun 13, 2008 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 13
Does any of Creative Sound blasted USB live or XMOD Amp the sound?

I have pathetic integrated soundcard on laptop..so i need smthg better.

How about EMU 0202?

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycrob515 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeh i was just looking at getting one of those...do you know what the differences between a dac and amp are?

DAC uses USB. Bypasses horrible laptop soundcard. AMP plugs into mini jack of laptop/computer. Amps horrible signal of soundcard.

Of course if you are using a desktop and have the liberty to upgrade to higher quality soundcard, the amp would be ok I imagine.

Jun 13, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any of Creative Sound blasted USB live or XMOD Amp the sound?

I have pathetic integrated soundcard on laptop..so i need smthg better.

How about EMU 0202?

EMU 0202 would be better than your laptop sound card. From what I know the soundblaster and xmod would bypass that sound card as well. However, the gains aren't much considering the price. You might as well go for a TBAAM, or echo dj.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:53 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DAC uses USB. Bypasses horrible laptop soundcard. AMP plugs into mini jack of laptop/computer. Amps horrible signal of soundcard.

Of course if you are using a desktop and have the liberty to upgrade to higher quality soundcard, the amp would be ok I imagine.

So filipelli an ibasso w/ an LOD would do me right? I'm using an iphone and/or a laptop. How much does an LOD make a difference...can't i just use mini to mini or does it make a huge difference?

Jun 14, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #13 of 13
Hmm i have been unable to make up my mind...

its still Sound Blaster USB 24-bit v/s XMOD in my mind.

XMOD as i hear is just a cheap DAC with artificial sound enhancement.

whereas Sound blaster USB is a proper Sound card but its USB 1.1

Which has better Amp circuitry btw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back