X-fi optical to DAC (zero?) worth it?
Apr 25, 2009 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Deathsnapper

Head-Fier
Recently I've been considering adding an external DAC to my computer. I'm on a bit of a budget, so getting a Zero DAC was what I was mostly considering. I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'd be keeping my eye on the for sale sections for a while.

I'm mostly wondering if the increase in sound quality going from a x-fi titanium to a zero dac (connected to the TOSLINK slot on my x-fi) would be notable, or at least enough to make it worth buying the DAC and cable.

There's also the option of getting a headphone amp, but as it stands I generally keep foobar's volume at -16 to -8db and the windows volume at 20%. So I don't think an amp would really help much for the most part.

Headphones used would be (for now) AD700s and SR60i.
Any opinions would be helpful, thanks.
dt880smile.png

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 5
bump for some more opinions. same boat, I plan on using the LittleDot Dac

Deathsnapper you've got a listenable dac on the soundcard why not jump on some new headphones. Only pair i've had experience with are Senns HD 595. I can tell you they sounded great out my X fi. Then I got an amp.

big

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Get better headphones instead.

Apr 26, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 5
well, the x-fi leaves room for tons of improvment when it comes to both dac and amplification, might want to save for somthing a little better though, like the Compass, or Beresford 7520.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back