X-Fi Music --> ? --> HD650/K340
Mar 27, 2008 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using a GoVibe 5 for a while now, and I feel that it's time to upgrade... I planned on using it with my iPod on the go, but that never materialized, and so I would like something bigger and probably not very portable.

What should I get as an intermediate between my X-Fi XtremeMusic and headphones? I've got a couple of headphones coming (or here already) that are certainly above what a GoVibe should be able to handle well: K340 and HD650. All I know about driving them is that it would be silly to assume that a GoVibe can do it.

I'm not looking for anything to make those headphones be at the top of their game; I need a very, very cheap alternative (well, not quite as cheap as GoVibe 5, but not too expensive), and probably something used (i.e., consider that when estimating the price). Is an amp what I should be looking for, by the way? Maybe a cheap DAC or an ancient AV receiver? I really have NO idea what to get - my headphone obsession got the best of me, you could say.

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 9
To get the best sound out of the X-fi you want to use the SPDIF out (with bit match setting on) to a DAC or portable DAC. So one upgrade path is keep your Go-Vibe and work on the DAC first or buy an integrated DAC/AMP that takes SPDIF in. Hope that helps.

Mar 27, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr dougie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To get the best sound out of the X-fi you want to use the SPDIF out (with bit match setting on) to a DAC or portable DAC. So one upgrade path is keep your Go-Vibe and work on the DAC first or buy an integrated DAC/AMP that takes SPDIF in. Hope that helps.

Sounds like good advice. Are there any such specific low-end models DAC's or DAC/amps that are often recommended?

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 9
Also FYI most skip the soundcard and use USB > DAC > amp. Not sure the X-fi SPDIF would be any better, probably not. I'm getting an iBasso D2 and will use the USB DAC but ampwise it won't be much different than the GoVibe. Hard to recommend anything based on my limited knowledge and soooo many options, keep reading these forums!

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Wouldn't the X-Fi be better for games and whatnot, though (as opposed to a low-end USB DAC)? I do listen to a lot of music, but I use my PC for many things.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as S/PDIF goes, what kind of adapter or whatnot do I get to use coax or optical outputs (and which one would better suit my needs if I want to connect it to a DAC and then maybe an amp)? I assume it's something I should plug into the FlexiJack - maybe something like THIS but that doesn't look as cheap? They have a more expensive front-panel option on the Creative site, but I'd want something in the back; my PC case has a door in the front that I like to keep closed.

Now, about DAC's... would something like a ZERO 24/192 DAC/amp or a HomeHiFi Beresford TC-7510 be good? From what I read, it sounds like the ZERO is quite good, and I could probably just sell my GoVibe, too. And what about just a plain ol' receiver that I can find used on Craigslist or something (given that the model is decent)? Which is to say, how about X-Fi --> receiver via s/pdif --> headphones?

Alternatively, what if I just go with just a plain amp, like a Gilmore Lite?

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 9
If you don't have an X-fi with front panel yes you will need an adaptor for Creative's silly flexi-jack. Another option is something like this.

You will also need to switch to the "Digital" option under Control Panel > Sound to get digital out.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 9
I've not really found a budget amp that does well with both the 650s and 340s. The K340s like the Darkvoice 336 and the Heed Canamp, but both make the 650s too dark, imo, though someone may have hit on a tube combo for the DV to make that a little better. I've also been told that my early Canamp doesn't sound like the later models, which are supposedly a bit brighter, but I don't know if that's true, since I've never heard one. Both these headphones are more amp dependent than most headphones. What's your budget cap?

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr dougie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't have an X-fi with front panel yes you will need an adaptor for Creative's silly flexi-jack. Another option is something like this.

That adapter will work in the flexijack, or am I confused?

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana
I've not really found a budget amp that does well with both the 650s and 340s. The K340s like the Darkvoice 336 and the Heed Canamp, but both make the 650s too dark, imo, though someone may have hit on a tube combo for the DV to make that a little better. I've also been told that my early Canamp doesn't sound like the later models, which are supposedly a bit brighter, but I don't know if that's true, since I've never heard one. Both these headphones are more amp dependent than most headphones. What's your budget cap?

I can see how that can be the case. I haven't received the HD650 yet, but I don't imagine that it'd be too much different from HD580, which I've tried. I'm not sure about my price range for this whole thing, but let's say no more than $250, with preference for way below that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back