X-Fi Music --> A/V receiver --> amp questions
Apr 6, 2008 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

shleepy

100+ Head-Fier
I won a Yamaha receiver on eBay today that I'm thinking of using (at least partially) with my PC. Specifically, I have an X-Fi XtremeMusic, and the Yamaha receiver has optical and coax inputs and 24/96 DAC's, from my understanding. An apology, in advance, for the noobishness of my questions.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, first question - Just to confirm, will using s/pdif connections from my X-Fi to the receiver theoretically improve sound quality for headphones?

Next order of business... I don't have front panel connections or anything like that with my X-Fi, so will THIS go into my "flexijack" on the X-Fi? If so, do I get one of THESE kinds of cables to go from the X-Fi + adapter to the receiver, or does the fact that the adapter is "mini optical" imply that I need something else?

Now, for the final part... I would probably get an entry-ish-level desktop amp (e.g., Gilmore Lite) to go from the receiver to the headphones, if I find it necessary. Considering that I'd be using HD650's and maybe AKG K340's, I assume it wouldn't hurt. To do this, would I connect the amp to one of the back connections on the receiver or to the front-panel headphone jack? I'm leaning towards the former, but just want to make sure.

That's all for now. Thanks for looking / helping me out!

Apr 6, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by LORD-eX-Bu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow thats expensive... have you checked out toslink to mini cables on Monoprice.com?

EDIT: oh crap I just saw the $49.99 something on there didn't see the $1.56 price tag LOL

you can use a converter or just get a new cable.

So, basically, I could just get THIS CABLE straight into the flexijack of the X-Fi?

Apr 7, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be wrong, but I thought the digital out on my X-Fi Extreme Music was coax, not optical.

You tell me! They call it a "flexijack" and it just looks like a 1/8" jack. If you've got a front panel thing for it, then it should have both, optical and coax out.

I'm actually extremely confused about what adapter/cables to get.

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 10
It is a 1/8" jack. you can use w/the Digital I/O module (from creative) or a mono 1/8 to rca cable, for one coax digital out. The advantage of the I/O module is it will give you two "continuous on" outputs for digital. One coax and one optical. I had a X-Fi Xtreme Audio card for a short while and used both methods above.

The Digital I/O module will give you input from either coax or optical too.

Ech0

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a 1/8" jack. you can use w/the Digital I/O module (from creative) or a mono 1/8 to rca cable, for one coax digital out. The advantage of the I/O module is it will give you two "continuous on" outputs for digital. One coax and one optical. I had a X-Fi Xtreme Audio card for a short while and used both methods above.

I thought I saw something somewhere online that can go from the s/pdif slot on the other side of the soundcard (inside the case) and into a separate PCI slot bracket under the card... I think something like that would be better. Anyone know where to get it (or wanna make it for me
wink.gif
)?

Apr 8, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by shleepy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I saw something somewhere online that can go from the s/pdif slot on the other side of the soundcard (inside the case) and into a separate PCI slot bracket under the card... I think something like that would be better. Anyone know where to get it (or wanna make it for me
wink.gif
)?

I wonder why you think that would be better? Just curious. I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread just your query on digital hook up for the soundcard above.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder why you think that would be better? Just curious. I'll admit I haven't read this entire thread just your query on digital hook up for the soundcard above.

The Creative thingy doesn't seem particularly well-made, and it's kind of a weird solution. It's got awful reviews on Amazon (not that you can necessarily trust them), for example.

EDIT: it apparently only works for 2 speakers... that's not ideal, in case I want to hook up 5.1 or higher to my receiver later on... If I don't go through the flexijack / digital I/O module, and instead with something like I suggested, would it work for 5.1+? OR are the Amazon reviewers just people who can't set up the options correctly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back