X-Fi + Micro DAC vs E-MU 0404 + Micro DAC
Feb 23, 2006 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FIJI

Head-Fier
Would the E-MU 0404 using optical out to the Micro DAC have noticeably better sound quality than an x-fi using optical out via the front bay X-Fi I/O Drive connected to the Micro DAC (Micro amp used as well).

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 13
Does the low end X-Fi model support the bit perfect SPDIF output without resampling?

I too am going down the road of a MicroDAC to feed my Supermacro3. I am currently feeding my FLAC through a Audigy2 ZS which resamples to 48kHz and sounds AWFUL. I had my eyes opened when I used the Rio Karma to feed my phones instead.

I am also a PC gamer so I do want the EAX effects.

I could just use the USB to feed the MicroDAC and dump my Audigy2ZS but I'd lose the EAX.

From what I hear the X-Fi has a "no resample" mode which can output a pure 41kHz SPDIF signal. If this is so then I'll feed my MicroDAC with that.

I realise I lose the EAX when I use the "no resample" mode but it's better than having two cards in my system... I just have to put up with the constant flicking between modes from the system tray... will Creative ever get it right? :/

Question is: Does the bottom end X-Fi have the capability to feed bit perfect SPDIF output with no resampling?

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:42 PM Post #5 of 13
all of the x-fi's use the same modes i believe. they are all based on the same processing chips. so, yeah, the lower x-fi model should still be able to do bit-perfect in the audio creation mode.

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 13
You can use Coaxial Digital SPDIF from the back of the lower end XFi without having to route thru the front bay.

Either of these cards will output well to your external dac if configured appropriately.

As to choosing which sound card...

1) Soundblaster cards are better at doing the sound things with games.
2) The software with the EMU cards is very ornery and difficult to work with.
3) The internal DAC on the EMU cards is considered to be better.
4) The XFi cards seem to be much better than the older soundblasters.

I have listened my system with both an XFi (coax) and a 1212m both optical and coax and can tell no difference.

I like the analog out of the 1212m a bit more powering my speakers. I don't do gaming where sound is important (besides I usually am running my headphones with foobar behind WoW)

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by juzmister
is there any way to get the audio 2 zs to not output at 48hz?

I have been searching the net for months and sadly I have not found any way to avoid it.

The Audigy 2 ZS resamples. End of story. No way to avoid it. Its in the hardware.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones13
You can use Coaxial Digital SPDIF from the back of the lower end XFi without having to route thru the front bay.

Can you recommend a good coax digital cable that will have the appropriate ends to hook into both both my pci card and micro dac? they both look like they take mini connections, but I'm not sure. If they do take mini do they make digital coaxial spdif interconnects that are mini to mini?

Feb 23, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 13
LOL, I was surprised to see that the MicroDAC does not have an RCA connector for Digital in for the SPDIF, but rather a combo jack itself that will accomodate both a 1/8th inch plug for Coax, and the "mini Toslink" optical connector.

The back of the XFi card offers only the 1/8th inch coax SPDIF out, not optical.

I searched and found a starter cord for you : you are basically looking for an 1/8 mono plug on both ends. (I bet the stereo version on both ends would work as well)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

$3.99 at Radio Shack. I am sure you can find/have made a fancy dancy double shielded, cryogenically treated cable. You might start with this one and work out the kinks.

My desktop unit has an RCA jack for Coax input, and that is what I have used in the past, with an antique Creative Labs cord with the rca on one end, and the 1/8th inch mono on the other end.

Feb 23, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 13
the x-fi can do bit perfect digital out the mutijack out the back. in audio-creation mode, you can select the non resampling mode at 44.1. only downside with this setup u cant use ur mic as the jack is same as digital out.

Feb 24, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 13
yeah i just found out about bit perfect in audio creation mode yesterday on this forum and started using it. noticeable improvement too. as far as connecting the Micro DAC to the digital out on the back of the X-fi I tried my mini-mini interconnect that I was previously using to connect line out to amp and it works. I figured there was some special digital cable that was needed but I guess not? I think, however, I will just stick to using the optical out via the front console. I really like the way it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back