X-fi first impressions
Oct 15, 2005 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

benton

100+ Head-Fier
So, I had no working sound on my computer from a odd onboard sound problem, so I decided I need a new sound card. Checked online, and actaully found my local circuty city had the best deal on the Xtreme music, $90 with grand opening sale and rebate. So, I hook it up and get it up and running and all I have to say is....OMG

I just couldn't belive that a sound card could make that much of a diffrence over onboard sound.

Music:

Tested it with some losless audio files using my 2.1 speakers. Put on entertainment mode and 24 bit crystalizer on(big diffrence). I was blown away.
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Everything was beuatiful. I can't belive I used onboard for so long(K8Ns). It made my 2.1 sound like a booming concert. I couldn't belive the diffrene in the highs and mids. Its simply put, amazing

Games:

This is where I was most impressed. I put on game mode, and turned on some CSS. !!!! God, the sounds from the awp are the loudest, most booming, lowest, earth rumbling sounds. It went from a light flat booom, to a thunderous movie theatre BOOOOOOOOM! Everygun in the game espically the silence m4 were so refined and breath taking. I almost foregot I was using 2.1
eek.gif

Conclusion:

Best $90 I have ever spent. Sounds like brand new speakers, truly a customizable ear-gasm. Your first impression going from onboard sound will be , I quote "holy mother ****ing **** this is increidble." Simply put, buy it

My my face now looks like this:
600smile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle
Now its time to test with some headphones and tell us!

I concur.

Glad you are enjoying that card. I'm still looking for a good one myself, and that is one is on the list.

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
hate to be a party pooper, but no kidding, any card will sound vastly supperior to onboard. anyway; GLAD your happy!

Hey, we all gotta start somewhere right?
600smile.gif

Maybe if he now believes the difference a soundcard will make, he'll believe in the difference good headphones, amps, and speakers can make, it all snowballs from here, once you get a taste of better sound, you gotta know what else is out there
600smile.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 33
Hah, I know that it isn't a vast diffrence to say an audigy Zs or whatever, but from me going from onboard to this I practically wet myself. Oh, and don't worry, my Logitech z-5500 are being bought next week and the HF-1 and either gilmore or something will be bought at christmas.

Oct 16, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #7 of 33
Well...

If I could ask of Creative just these things. Give us a card with the same specs as the Xtreme Music but do these three things..

#1) Give us a legit SPDIF In/Out via Optical connectors and turn that lame hybrid jack into a solid MIC-IN jack with quality amplification, etc.

#2) Eliminate all your bloatware goofy drivers and institute a standard, uniform, WHQL type driver with a very simple interface all burried into one applet. (This includes eliminating setting up the ring network for either Game Mode, Enterntainment Mode, or Music Creation Mode. Just put that badass processor you just created to work in the best possible mode all around and let it be.

#3) Put the higher end DAC's that you have in the Elite Pro version and stick them on this version. After all, you DO call it the "extreme music" edition.

If this was available to me now, I wouldn't have to decide which sound card to buy, it would be a no brainer, I'd buy Creative.

Jon

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

hate to be a party pooper, but no kidding, any card will sound vastly supperior to onboard.

Actually, the AV-710 didn't do that for me
frown.gif
But damn, an xtrememusic for $90? I want one!!!!

Oct 16, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 33
Good to hear that you experienced a significant increase in performance from this card. However, I hope that you also consider other upgrades in the future as well. (headphones/amp/dac...and maybe a higher end soundcard for music..emu1212, etc)
icon10.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:13 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99
You need to spend atleast 2000$ before anything can sound good.

rolleyes.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

LOL!
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

I suggest $90 for the sound card plus $1910 for your new ICs/speaker cable. Now your set for audio bliss!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back