X-fi Digital out and Microphone at the same time
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Brewmaster

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I'm probably just confused.

I've been looking at getting one of the X-fi cards, specifically the extreme gamer. It looks like from the specifications that I would need to buy a separate adapter to get digital out, and I would not be able to use a microphone if I did this. Am I interpreting the specs correctly?

If so, what is the lowest cost x-fi card (excluding xtreme audio) that can use both digital out and a microphone at the same time.

Thanks.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 4
Hmm... MAYBE those X-Fi's w/ the I/O Drive/Console can handle this but, as I'm not sure in this because of the nature of SB cards (IIRC, normally those can't handle digital and analog simultaneously). Also, if you're using Vista then there's been some issues w/ S/PDIF in Vista.

jiitee

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #3 of 4
I've done some serious google searching and verified that you can't have a microphone and digital out at the same time with the xtreme gamer. If I go down this avenue I'd have to buy a USB microphone.

I really don't understand why Creative would do this. I've owned many sound cards and never seen something so dumb. Even my lousy onboard sound can do digital out and support a microphone. So If I want this card I have to buy the card, a specail I/O adapter to get the digital out, and then a USB microphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back