X-Fi, difference in line-outs?
Jan 15, 2008 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
Sup Head-Fi.
I was seeing this picture of the X-Fi XtremeMusic connections (I was planning on going X-Fi->Amp->Headphones in one line out and X-Fi->PC Speakers on another line out):

audiocard.gif

And noticed they showed Headphones on Line out 1, and speakers on line out 3.
Is there any differences in the line-outs? Does the first one use an internal amp for headphones, and the others none?

I mean, if I get an amp I wouldn't need the internal one.

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Doesnt work like that. Lineout 1 (non-headphone) is stereo for your amp. 2 and 3 are for surround speakers, in a stereo setup only output 1 will work. But the headphone out can be used the same way, giving you two stereo line outs. You will wanna disable Headphone auto mute for the rig your describing. As far as which one to use for your headphone amp and which to use for your speakers? Use the headphone output for the speakers because I would think Fidelity would be most important for your headphone amp. I think that Amping an output that has been amped once already through your sounds card would degrade sound. Hope this helps.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesnt work like that. Lineout 1 (non-headphone) is stereo for your amp. 2 and 3 are for surround speakers, in a stereo setup only output 1 will work. But the headphone out can be used the same way, giving you two stereo line outs. You will wanna disable Headphone auto mute for the rig your describing. As far as which one to use for your headphone amp and which to use for your speakers? Use the headphone output for the speakers because I would think Fidelity would be most important for your headphone amp. I think that Amping an output that has been amped once already through your sounds card would degrade sound. Hope this helps.

I didn't quite get this part. How do you mean I should use my headphone out to get two stereo line outs?

And do you mean I should connect my amp on the other line-outs (surround)?

EDIT: Also, you said Line-out 1 not being Headphone. Then which is headphone? :O

EDIT2: I should specify me setup. I have a pair of 2.1-PC Speakers and then Amp->Headphone. I wish to have both plugged in at the same time, without having to unplug any and switch, if possible.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

But the headphone out can be used the same way, giving you two stereo line outs.

This is only for X-Fi's with external box, like XtremeGamer platinum or Elite Pro. You can use the line out at the back of the soundcard and external box's "headphone" line out (though bit inferior quality) at the same time.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #5 of 7
The difference is in the way the channels are mapped. Lineout 1 is always for the front left and right. The other outs are for the rear channels and the center/sub channel in a surround system. So what you want to do might be difficult to pull off. For music, you could do it by using a plugin to mirror the front two channels on the back two. For games and other things you would probably have to reach back there and switch the plugs as needed. Or get some kind of simple switch box.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 7
Is there any loss in sound quality if I use a splitter and by doing so split my Line out 1 (for front left/right) into two plugs?

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any loss in sound quality if I use a splitter and by doing so split my Line out 1 (for front left/right) into two plugs?

Maybe not quality loss but level loss if you use both at same time.

BTW, by using ASIO drivers and proper mixer settings (audio creation mode), you should be able to have least 3 x stereo channels available for separate output ... though you need playback software that supports ASIO and channel selection to get advantage of that. Sorry but I don't have X-Fi card so I can't tell the settings ... but, IIRC, ASIO Wave channels (channels 0 and 1) sends data to all those available output ports, ASIO channels 2&3 are Front L/R, ASIO channels 4&5 are Rear L/R, etc..

xfi4ozw1.jpg

xfi6oai0.jpg

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back