X-Fi DACs
Oct 10, 2005 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sonance

500+ Head-Fier
Currently I use an Audigy 2 ZS for gaming and a AV-710 for digital out via foobar/kernel streaming. I'm considering a X-Fi Pro, for one thing, to eliminate using a receiver entirely on my HTPC (Front Projector) setup.
I want one setup for multi-channel and headphone gaming, music listening, and movies. From what I head the equivalent of dolby headphone for multi-channel gaming is very good on the X-Fi line (especially if it will be sent out to an external DAC.)
For this reason I'm considering the pro card because it has an external box and the best DACs for analog out (mostly in gaming / movie mode) I would also like to simplify my setup and get rid of one of the PCI cards.
Here's what I'm thinking
PC (stereo stuff) -> Digital outs -> Benchmark DAC-1 (digital) -> Balanced outs -> PS Audio MCC integrated
PC (multichannel) -> 6 X Analog single ended outs -> PS Audio MCC Integrated

The Pro uses 4 X CS4398 DACs, but I havent found any info about the output devices used in conjuction with the DACs. Is this likely to have a better sound quality than the lower end models? Anyone know about the output devices used?

Thanks!

Oct 10, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
It'd better, since the lower end models only use the same DAC as the audigy 2 ZS while its using the Emu 1212m's DAC =P

the DAC in the audigy 2 was never the issue, it was the DSP chip everything was run through and the crappy analog stage.

Oct 10, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonance
The Pro uses 4 X CS4398 DACs, but I havent found any info about the output devices used in conjuction with the DACs. Is this likely to have a better sound quality than the lower end models? Anyone know about the output devices used?

It's JRC NJM2114 (x1) and NJM2068 (x3) on the SB0550. On the SB0460 it's JRC NJM4556A (x1) and ST Micro 4558C (x3).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 11
To clarify lini's last posting for the non-DIYers here: The Xtreme Music/Platinum/Fatal1ty Models use good DACs with a crappy output stage while the Elite Pro uses even better DACs with a MUCH better output stage.

But consider that an E-MU 0404 uses exactly the same DACs and op-amps as the X-Fi Elite Pro. Those X-Fis are everything but cheap.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon
But consider that an E-MU 0404 uses exactly the same DACs and op-amps as the X-Fi Elite Pro. Those X-Fis are everything but cheap.

Just to clear this up, the Elite Pro actually uses the same DACs as the 1212m (CS4398), while the 0404 uses the AKM AK4395.

Not sure on the opamps.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
Just to clear this up, the Elite Pro actually uses the same DACs as the 1212m (CS4398), while the 0404 uses the AKM AK4395.

Not sure on the opamps.

Damn, you're right. Thanks for clarifiing my clarification
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S.: The Op-Amps are definately the same.

Oct 10, 2005 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 11
is there a way to use the 0404 with an external output stage thing to make it good for gaming? or is x-fi elite pro the only way to go for good gaming, music, and movies all in one?

Oct 10, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
is there a way to use the 0404 with an external output stage thing to make it good for gaming?

Are we talking about an external DAC?

Aside from that, the answer to your question is most likely "no"
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkgle
or is x-fi elite pro the only way to go for good gaming, music, and movies all in one?

That depends
wink.gif

But to make it simple: If you want great analogue output, excellent gaming capabilities and lots of other sound-processing mumbo-jumbo, the X-Fi Elite Pro is your card. Unfortunately, you would also have to be willing to spend an almost ridiculous amount of money for that thing
lambda.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for the responses, guys!
While I am interested in the 2 channel performance of this device, I'm also interested in it's 6 channel performance, as I would like to use it as a universal solution for both music and movies (in conjunction with an outboard DAC/Amp.) In fact, unless it turns out to be a better performer than the DAC 1, I dont forsee using the DACs in 2 channel mode at all, it would mostly be in 6 channel mode that I would care. If I get one I'll be interested in doing a three way shootout with a DAC 1, X-Fi Pro each with and without a separate amp when driving headphones, just for fun.
I remember looking into the 0404 about 18 months ago, and if I remember right it was a primarily 2 channel device.
That and I wasn't sure if E-Mu had decent drivers for gaming. At the time I went with 2 cards, a Chaintech used purely as a bit perfect digital out driven by foobar fed to a DAC 1, and an Audigy2 / Extigy for everything else (I still swap between the two as they each have their benefits.) - movies, gaming, windows sounds. In the end this solution is very fidgety, so I want a single solution with no need to switch inputs on anything. It should just always work.
Another reason I was considering the Pro model is that I'm hoping having an external device will result in somewhat reduced RF interference compared to an totally internal solution (might just be a placebo thing - but its why I bought an extigy, which seems to sound better than an Audigy 2 when dealing with 48khz based audio.)
I'll have to lookup comments on the output devices in the Pro model, but I take it from existing comments in this thread that people consider them to be pretty good (or not terrible) ?
As for the price, it seems high for a computer sound card, but as a replacement for a pre-processor, it's not so bad. It comes down to either buying this or buying some sort of pre-processor or receiver (seems like a waste in conjunction with a multi-channel amp.)

Oct 10, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ikon
Damn, you're right. Thanks for clarifiing my clarification
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S.: The Op-Amps are definately the same.

Same OP-Amps are used in 1212m/1820m, if you check again carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back