X-Fi DAC: Direct Connect from CD-ROM?
Sep 15, 2007 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bhjazz

Headphoneus Supremus
So I was hanging around inside my computer the other day, and noticed that my X-Fi Extreme Music has an SPDIF in (SPDIF_I0 in photo below). I am sure that this connector is used with their front faceplate, etc, etc. I also noticed that the back of both my DVD-ROM and DVD burner have two-pin digital outputs. Seems to me that these things could be connected together and the digital signal from my DVD-ROM would have a much shorter trip to the DAC. For now, and for most of us I'm sure, the connections just go through the IDE connection which means signal degradation to me...

Anyone know the details about this connector on the SB0460? More importantly, can we hack it here at Head Fi?!!! I'm sure one pair of these pins would allow the two components to be connected...

Never mind the dust. Geez. I just cleaned it a month ago!
Xtreme_SPDIF.jpg

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 13
Just posted to Creative forums. Let's see what they come up with...

Sep 16, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 13
I don't know about you, but with my Audigy 2 ZS (Platinum Pro version) and my X-Fi they came with the cable so you could connect that to you CD/DVD drive. I didn't ever use it on my Audigy 2 and I didn't connect the one on my X-Fi because I just rip to FLAC and never use the CD.

Sep 16, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 13
err that digital input on the card is designed to take the digital out from the CD-ROM drive.

so yes the whole intention of that socket on the soundcard is to direct link it to rom drives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why? IDE connection is good.

But the signal has to get routed through the motherboard to get there. Think of all the digital nasties that get picked up along the way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muftobration /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about you, but with my Audigy 2 ZS (Platinum Pro version) and my X-Fi they came with the cable so you could connect that to you CD/DVD drive. I didn't ever use it on my Audigy 2 and I didn't connect the one on my X-Fi because I just rip to FLAC and never use the CD.

Really? (bh digs through old box) Nope. No cable! In fact, the packing list for the card doesn't even list it. hm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc303 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
err that digital input on the card is designed to take the digital out from the CD-ROM drive.

so yes the whole intention of that socket on the soundcard is to direct link it to rom drives.
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course. I know what it is there for, but a digital signal only needs two connectors. My OP asked: which of 8 pins shown are the digital input pins?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the signal has to get routed through the motherboard to get there. Think of all the digital nasties that get picked up along the way!

That's a flawed idea.

Computer's deal with much more error sensitive data than audio without problems.

You could do it if you want, but it won't make a difference.

You could actually possibly see skipping since the data will no longer be buffered in the main system ram. (unlikely)

Sep 16, 2007 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Computer's deal with much more error sensitive data than audio without problems.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's digital, it doesn't matter. It's just bits.

Wow, you guys have never heard of jitter? I'm amazed. Computers are not built to keep external noise away from audio signals like a CD player would be. Also, most motherboards have drivers and data handlers to monitor and route signals and power, many of these traces being side by side. Then the OS gets involved. I'm surprised that I seem to be on my own in thinking that a direct connection could be an elegant, simple solution.

My idea of this post was to find which of eight pins would be the correct inputs, and here I am defending why. Unnecessary. If you don't agree, that's cool. If you don't have the answer, though, I'd rather not hear why you think it's such a waste of my time.

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #11 of 13
I remember prefering to use direct analogue connection from CD player to soundcard than having it processed by the computer. As I remember I thought digital playback really sucked, it made the music sound like I was listening to it on headphones rather than being in the same room as the performer. This is speaking of the past though , only as I remember it ten or so years back.

Mar 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Actually with that card, it doesn't. The IDE cable went right from the front panel box, to the sound card.

Mar 17, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Wow, you guys have never heard of jitter? I'm amazed. Computers are not built to keep external noise away from audio signals like a CD player would be. Also, most motherboards have drivers and data handlers to monitor and route signals and power, many of these traces being side by side. Then the OS gets involved. I'm surprised that I seem to be on my own in thinking that a direct connection could be an elegant, simple solution.

I really have no idea, but I'd expect you'd cause problems by doing it that way instead of avoiding it. Like you said, computers aren't designed like a CD player. So why treat them like one? Let the computer buffer the data like it would if you were playing the music off your hard drive. Surely that is exactly the type of thing computers are good at. I can't imagine that anything good comes from turning a CD-rom drive into a transport. I suppose you can always try and see what happens though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back