X-Fi Crystalizer
Aug 2, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 128
The difference between dacs is never night and day unless it's something poorly designed like most onboard audio.
uDAC is incredibly overhyped, it can't even compare to cheaper sound cards.

Crystallizer is just a gimmicky dsp effect (use search on the page): http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/multimedia/creative-x-fi.html

Don't use WAV, it's a waste of space. Use a lossless codec like FLAC.
Also, why bother buying a cd if you paid for the mp3? IMO if you paid for it you have the right to replace it with a better quality download.
As a side note, most music is mastered terribly, loudness war B.S full of clipping and distortion, classical being pretty much the main exception. I will never pay money music that looks like a brick wall or has lots of clipped peaks in an editor. Because in doing so, you're telling them it's ok to continue their anti-hifi trends.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 128
I don't use such services, I couldn't tell you.

Apple's store won't use flac, but they do have apple's lossless format as an option. You can either use it as their format or convert it to another lossless format.

As far as an external DAC in that price range, it's pretty hard to say, there aren't many. EMU 0404 (used) is your best bet IMO but no W7 support, and you'd need an adapter to use RCA, I think.

Edit: Oh, you were the guy who already has a card. Just use it, and get an 3.5mm TRS to RCA adapter. Monoprice has good, inexpensive cables and adapters.

Aug 2, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 128
Foobar has a nice converter (supports parallel conversions/rg scanning, so if you have 4 cpus, all 4 will be used if you have >4 files to convert/scan) but I don't think it has any paranoid-features audiophiles swear by.

Most of the devout Audio Religion followers use cuetools for conversions, splitting, etc.

Aug 2, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #12 of 128
I'm listening to the 0404usb on a W7 Lenovo laptop atm. I haven't listened to it in quite a while. No love lost for the lack of detail and muddy bottom end. Absolutely no soundstage or realism whatsoever.

Yep, you need an adaper to use RCA cables.

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #13 of 128

Quote:
I don't use such services, I couldn't tell you.

Apple's store won't use flac, but they do have apple's lossless format as an option. You can either use it as their format or convert it to another lossless format.

As far as an external DAC in that price range, it's pretty hard to say, there aren't many. EMU 0404 (used) is your best bet IMO but no W7 support, and you'd need an adapter to use RCA, I think.

Edit: Oh, you were the guy who already has a card. Just use it, and get an 3.5mm TRS to RCA adapter. Monoprice has good, inexpensive cables and adapters.

What do you mean no W7 support? I use Windows 7 and my E-MU just fine. And yes, the outputs are 1/4" TS, not RCA.

And Digger, you're doing it COMPLETELY wrong. You are double amping. Bad. Bad. The internal amp headphone amp is dreadful. I can't even imagine doing that.

You should be using the 1/4" plugs in the back. Otherwise you're getting garbage in, garbage out.

Notice the blue cables in the back, which are these.
http://livingcatskills.com/cables2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back