X-Fi and Audigy
Feb 6, 2007 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TestSpecimen

100+ Head-Fier
I've been messing around with my audigy soundcard with my headphones and i have noticed that the sound signature is much more pleasurable when in 2 speaker mode rather than headphone mode. Is this common knowledge and i'm just being thick or should this not really b the case? Is the X-Fi the same? Let me kno what you recon.

Feb 6, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #4 of 11
I have a SB Live! 5.1, and in headphone mode it really brings down the SQ, alot! 2 ch mode its best for cans.

Feb 6, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 11
my A2ZS is set to 2/2.1 speaker mode. never liked the headphone mode. totally screws up the sound. discovered this a long time ago when i was still using my Philips HP250.

i find that speaker mode also helps give better staging rather than headphone mode.

Feb 6, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 11
i tried switching the 2 mods, but couldnt hear a difference on my audigy2zs :p

i kept it on 2/2.1 anyways, hehe.

Feb 6, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't use CMSS or anything like that on the soundcard that would affect the sound, but there is definately a significant difference between headphone and speaker mode which is quite wierd. Its almost as though the headphone mode is made weak to 'protect' headphones from something, although i don't kno what. Very wierd.

Feb 7, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Headphone setting engages a type of crossfeed that's absolutely necessary for 3d games (without it you'll be hearing sounds out of only 1 speaker depending on the in-game direction). It's terrible for music listening. So set to headphones for games, 2 speaker for everything else.

Feb 7, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #11 of 11
On the X-fi there is a very slight difference between the two settings, provided that all other sound processing gizmos are disabled. Strange but true.

Maybe the "headphones" setting is flatter, while the "speakers" one benefits from some mild equalization, since PC loudspeakers are not exactly of audiophile quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back