X-Fi -> 1212M. Worth the upgrade?
Dec 26, 2006 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

BadassBob

100+ Head-Fier
Im very tempted to get the $99 1212m over at musiciansfriend but not so sure about the audible differences I will hear going from my X-Fi. I currently have the X-Fi connected to an Entech 203.2 which sounds pretty good, but like I said, that 1212m is very tempting. I dont play games very much anymore, so EAX support is a non-issue for me. I really would like the 1212m, but would it really be worth it?

Dec 26, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #2 of 33
Most X-Fis use Cirrus Logic DACs as the 1212M does, but as you probably know, the 1212M--like the X-Fi Elite Pro--uses their top DAC, the CS4398 (also used in the Zhaolu DAC). The 1212M's implementation is different of course, and it also has the benefit of balanced outputs if you're ever interested in balanced gear. I'd say the only way to find out if you'd notice a difference in your system is to try it. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell it.

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most X-Fis use Cirrus Logic DACs as the 1212M does, but as you probably know, the 1212M--like the X-Fi Elite Pro--uses their top DAC, the CS4398 (also used in the Zhaolu DAC). The 1212M's implementation is different of course, and it also has the benefit of balanced outputs if you're ever interested in balanced gear. I'd say the only way to find out if you'd notice a difference in your system is to try it. If it doesn't work out, you can always sell it.

Would you happen to know, how different the implemention of the DAC on each the Zhaolu and the emu1212m? Would one give better sound quality compared to the other?

Dec 26, 2006 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 33
If I had to guess, I'd say the Zhaolu would have better sound quality simply because it's not inside the computer with all of the electrical interference. That's the weakness of having an internal sound card. Also, it's a dedicated DAC that costs over double the price, so it should sound better.
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had to guess, I'd say the Zhaolu would have better sound quality simply because it's not inside the computer with all of the electrical interference. That's the weakness of having an internal sound card. Also, it's a dedicated DAC that costs over double the price, so it should sound better.
biggrin.gif

Actually, one of the benefits of the 1212m, is that the analoge daughter card is seperated from the motherboard, and only connects digitally to the main card, so that it does not suffer the same effects as a normal sound card that is plugged directly into the motherboard. Also the 1212m has very good power filtering.

Dec 26, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 33
That's definitely a good idea. But also consider that all of the audio equipment is still in very close proximity to electrical stuff like the power supply, other cards, etc. In any case, I'm so unworried about it that I bought one.
lambda.gif

Dec 26, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #7 of 33
Well guys...the moment of truth is upon me. I sprung and shelled out the coin for a 1212m. I think I might keep the X-Fi as well just for the occassional game use. The thing that sold me was that it used the same DAC as used in the Zhaolu. I hope it sounds warmer than the Entech 203.2, cuz that thing sure has some harsh highs to it.

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 33
Report back with your impressions! I figure when I build my new computer, I'll just use the onboard sound chipset for games if EAX becomes an issue.

Next, it's time for a speaker upgrade, considering those are probably by far the largest bottleneck in your system.

Dec 26, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 33
These Pioneers Im using were pretty craptacular to start with, but I stuffed them full of Acousti-Stuf and they sound pretty darn good actually. As always, theres room for improvement. Ive been scoping out the Dayton 6.5" studio monitors over at partsexpress for $150. The CS-77s I have are vintage from 1973 lol. I put new dust caps and rings on the cones and they sound awesome. My dad told me he paid $300 for both of them 30-some years ago.

Dec 27, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 33
x-fi to 1212M is DEFINiTELY worth it.

I upgraded mine about 2 weeks ago and WOW. I notice more detail especially in the mids. Its not nearly as artificially bright as the x-fi is. Also it has far better attack and decay compared to x-fi.

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 33
Sold my D2(not nearly as good as 1212m even with the same DAC chip and given that it is a stand alone dac) and DAC-1(better, but I can make better use of the extra $$ over the 1212m), kept my 1212m...oh yeah, it's that good. For 99bucks..I would have installed every single rig in my house with the 1212m but heck I can't get it here!
mad.gif

Dec 27, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sold my D2(not nearly as good as 1212m even with the same DAC chip and given that it is a stand alone dac) and DAC-1(better, but I can make better use of the extra $$ over the 1212m), kept my 1212m...oh yeah, it's that good. For 99bucks..I would have installed every single rig in my house with the 1212m but heck I can't get it here!
mad.gif

People like you make people like me feel smart! I think this is as far as I'll go in the source dept. for a LONG time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back