X-DAC PS Question
Oct 31, 2006 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

abs@nilenet.com

500+ Head-Fier
I am making my own power supply for my MF X-DAC and have a question. I planned on using a toroidal and ordered a Amveco 62082 which is supposed to be 2 x 12 vac. When I test wire it up and plug a meter into it I am getting 14 volts. WHen I plug it into the X-DAC and it powers on and puts a load on the toroidal, I still get 14 volts.

Is this something to be concerned about? Will those 2 extra volts be a problem?

Happy Listening!

Oct 31, 2006 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 3
Nah, I wouldn't say it's anything to be worried about. The regulators down the line should be able to handle that, and the capacitors are (hopefully...it'd be stupid if they were 16V...) 25V so there's no real need to worry. So most likely, nothing will get hurt with a few volts over (most electronics are made with that in mind).

~Tom

Oct 31, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 3
This is the unloaded voltage. All transformers exhibit this overvoltage when unloaded or have very little current drawn from them. If you draw the rated current the voltage will drop to 12V. If you try to draw more it drops even more amongst causing other problems.

It should be just fine as Nerull mentioned. The circuit should be engineered with this error in mind at a minimum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back