x-cans v3 and x-psu ?
Jan 8, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #16 of 39
I just upgraded from the V2 to the V3.What a huge improvement.
This new unit is much more powerful.Better channel separation,
better,deeper bass.Yet it still retains the sonic signature of the V2.I changed the tubes to some Electroharmonix.These tubes
combined with pinkies xfeed has resulted for me in an intoxicatingly musical sound that I can now listen to for hours on
end.His X feed combined with the improvements in channel balance and separation of the V3 works even better.I am
ecstatic with this new V3 and to me it really does get more out
of the HD 600,s.I too can,t understand MF still using that Jan
Philips tube in there.But to me they got the rest of the amp
right this time.This is the way the first amp should have been made
and it runs completely cool to the touch.No need for a bigger PSU
on this model.

Duane Upshaw

Jan 9, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #18 of 39
Hello Rapidone.As I understand it this tube is a Sovtek(6922)
same as v1&v2.Sovtek applies the name Electroharmonix to their
tubes that during manufacture,fall into the upper end of the
quality spectrum.It,s a higher quality sovtek.The sound to my
ears is much more robust.A fatter,fuller bass,smooth midrange,
and clean but smooth highs.I also feel the dynamics are greater.
Drum wacks for example have much more solidity and fullness
of tone,yet the sound still retains it,s speed.I leave my v3 on all
the time now,but even though I do this it still takes about 30
minutes for the tubes to come on song.They sound a little thin
at first but once they "warm up" it,s pure music IMHO.Admittedly
some people may not like this sound and I have not heard the
mullard or the bugle boy but the electoharmonix is reasonably
priced as well.

Happy Listening
Duane Upshaw

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by madwolfa
I don't quite understand as well, because I've heard that:

1) v3's PSU is 24V
2) ----------- is +/- 12V
3) ----------- is 12-0-12

So what variant is correct? Sorry, but I'm lame.
confused.gif

I've heard the term "12-0-12" from the specifications of X-Cans V3, here's the quote:

"Power Requirement 12 - 0 - 12 Volts AC 500 mA (via mains adaptor supplied)"

12-0-12 means:

+12V
0V
-12V

So the V3's supply voltage is "24" Volts +/-12V is 24V from rail to rail.

Don't use the 12V X-PSU as it is cause it won't work.....

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #20 of 39
This diagram of the Andante PSU power connections to the Chiarra amp will explain what +/- and OV are doing. This is a +/- 15V PSU (30V)

Picture removed, I was confusing DC with AC
eek.gif
see Guzzler's diagram below.........

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:42 PM Post #21 of 39
Pinkie

That makes perfect sense if the PSU is DC (see my earlier post on page 1). But some posts claim that the PSU is AC (a la V2). Have MF changed to a DC wall-wart for the V3?

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by Alick
Pinkie

That makes perfect sense if the PSU is DC (see my earlier post on page 1). But some posts claim that the PSU is AC (a la V2). Have MF changed to a DC wall-wart for the V3?

It's still AC but unless the X-Psu has got +12V, 0V and -12V connected to the V3 how can it work? The X-PSU is simply 2 x 12V secondaries connected to the V2 via a 2.1mm DC plug.

Pinkie.

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #23 of 39
I hope this quick 2 minute sketch makes it easier to understand:

Picture Removed for health and safety reasons..... refer to Guzzlers diagram below.......

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #24 of 39
okay, the standard X-PSU (which is 12VAC) will not work with the X-Can 3 from what I've read, as it uses 24Vac

24Vac is NOT the same as +/-12Vdc. The keys parts being the Vac and Vdc. A DC current only flows in one direction, negative to positive and the electrons are forced to do electrical work (make choons) and hence you get power. AC is oscillating waves through the wire and the direction is always changing. DC is achieved by splitting the AC into into positive and negative cycles and using smoothing caps to provide a smooth current to the components.

It is not possible to to use a +/-12Vdc supply like the Welbourne PS-1 (and the Andante power supply that pinky showed you), as the X-Can V3 will have the rectifying (sp?) bridges inside.

After checking the MF website, I can tell you exactly what you need to do to make a new power supply. From the picture of the X-Can V3, at the back there is something that looks like an XLR connector, that I presume is the power connector. What the mains adaptor for this has is two 12Vac wired in series, with a ground taken from the junction of the two. Inside the V3 there will be 2 rectifier bridges, each one taking the 12Vac from the respective side of the transformer ground. The output from these bridges is the DC that the V3 needs to run, with one 12Vac being rectified to the positive half of the transformer ground, and the other to the negative... phew!

it will also help to remember that voltage is relative, so if you measure using an AC meter from the ground we have created, to either side of it, you'll get 12V, but measure from the two outsides, and you'll get 24V... here is a diagram of the adaptor:

V3adaptor.gif

hope that helps....

g

PS, if someone from the UK could lone me a V3 for a couple of days, I could make you some adaptors for it...

edit2: stupid case sensitive server

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:11 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
okay, the standard X-PSU (which is 12VAC) will not work with the X-Can 3 from what I've read, as it uses 24Vac

24Vac is NOT the same as +/-12Vdc. The keys parts being the Vac and Vdc. A DC current only flows in one direction, negative to positive and the electrons are forced to do electrical work (make choons) and hence you get power. AC is oscillating waves through the wire and the direction is always changing. DC is achieved by splitting the AC into into positive and negative cycles and using smoothing caps to provide a smooth current to the components.

It is not possible to to use a +/-12Vdc supply like the Welbourne PS-1 (and the Andante power supply that pinky showed you), as the X-Can V3 will have the rectifying (sp?) bridges inside.

After checking the MF website, I can tell you exactly what you need to do to make a new power supply. From the picture of the X-Can V3, at the back there is something that looks like an XLR connector, that I presume is the power connector. What the mains adaptor for this has is two 12Vac wired in series, with a ground taken from the junction of the two. Inside the V3 there will be 2 rectifier bridges, each one taking the 12Vac from the respective side of the transformer ground. The output from these bridges is the DC that the V3 needs to run, with one 12Vac being rectified to the positive half of the transformer ground, and the other to the negative... phew!

hope that helps....

g

cool.gif
That's saved a hell of a lot of people shagging their amps up Guzzler! Excellent information.

Jan 9, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

hope that helps....

g

cool.gif
Get your orders in to MR. Guzzler now!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

update with more info, and a snazzy picture! up two posts!

I better remove my bolloxed up picture Guzzler incase anyone blows themselves up
eek.gif

If I get any "build" enquiries re: the V3 PSU I'll pass them onto you, are you willing to make them mate? Let me know. It would be a toroidal in an ABS case with Guzzler-XTEC intellectual property with a suitable connecter to attach to the V3. I've seen your work and am totally confident you can provide V3 owners with what they need.

Pinkie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back