X-Cans V1?
Dec 14, 2006 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
What kind of amplifier is this? Its tube-hybrid, that is all what i know, but what kind of sound it has? What kind of headphones it works well with and so on?

Dec 14, 2006 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 12
[size=small]Piiiiiiiiiiiinkiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!![/size]
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]Piiiiiiiiiiiinkiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee!!!!!!!![/size]
icon10.gif

Where is that damn Xcan guru when we need him!
icon10.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #4 of 12
He's left head-fi. Check out the Rock Grotto if you want to ask him answers from his fountain of wisdom.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's left head-fi. Check out the Rock Grotto if you want to ask him answers from his fountain of wisdom.

eek.gif

You're joking, right?
frown.gif

I'm off to check Rock Grotto.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #6 of 12
I dunno if i will register to rockgrotto just because of this one question. It would be pointless.

Wierd that old X-Cans isnt mentioned here often. Was it replaced so quickly by V2 and V3 that it isnt that common amplfier?
Im just wondering if its bright amplifier like V2 and V3 are, or more "standard" warm tube amplifier.

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Dec 14, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

That was very informative site! Hmmm... Perhaps i should get that amplifier and do some tube rolling? Something musical that it would fit to both SR225 and DT880 which im going to get?

I also did some googling, but all i could find was about V2 or V3. So i asked here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #10 of 12
I also just read through that article....and guess what? He gives pinkie's site!!

http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/

*edit* oh, I see what rock-grotto is now! (slaps head for skimming things so quickly)

but yeah, that's why I'm getting a tube amp: hear Single Power can provide some major voltage for Senns. And then I can find a bassy tube for my Grado 325i so it can get some bass. Of course the 414 pads for it are on order.....so it might be awhile untill I can be able to wear them
frown.gif
But tube amps seem to be the way to go to alter sound characteristics.

Dec 16, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 12
The evolution went something like X-Can V1 => V2 => V3.

If memory serves me right the V1 used OP-Amps while the V2/V3 use transistors. Both the V2 and V3 respond well to mods which if you do yourself the cost is less than $100. The next step is to get a larger capacity power supply which could be int $30 to $200 depending on the route you take.

I love my V2 or V3 with my Grado RS-1 and can honestly say that you will have a blast with either. You can get great information at: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/index2.htm

Good luck.

May 27, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The evolution went something like X-Can V1 => V2 => V3.

If memory serves me right the V1 used OP-Amps while the V2/V3 use transistors. Both the V2 and V3 respond well to mods which if you do yourself the cost is less than $100. The next step is to get a larger capacity power supply which could be int $30 to $200 depending on the route you take.

I love my V2 or V3 with my Grado RS-1 and can honestly say that you will have a blast with either. You can get great information at: http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/index2.htm

Good luck.

In fact the version 1 responds well to mods too. I have a 1 & a broken 2 that I can't afford to get fixed. However changing the valves recently for Mullards has opened the sound up a treat. Smearing is dramatically reduced as is a kind of bass bloat that has now become quite detailed. You can upgrade the OP-amp too which is next on my list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back