X-Cans v1 upgrade advice needed
Feb 10, 2006 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lord.hypnos

New Head-Fier
My X-Cans v1 is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I don't have the funds to get a whole new amp. I am planning to upgrade the caps and opamps instead.

However, instead of the Burr Brown OPA2134, I am thinking of using the OPA2604 or OPA2228. Which of the two do you think would be the better choice? I'm thinking about installing a DIP socket so that I can try both, since I can probably get samples from TI for free.

Also, finding Elna SILMIC and Cerafine caps has been quite difficult. Are there any readily available equuivalents or alternatives?

I'm currently using JJ Electronics tubes, but I'm thinking about giving the Sovteks a try. I definitely can't justify buying Mullards.

Can anyone recommend any other upgrades that haven't been suggested on Nick Dangerous' site and at the Rock Grotto?

Feb 11, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord.hypnos
My X-Cans v1 is getting a bit long in the tooth, but I don't have the funds to get a whole new amp. I am planning to upgrade the caps and opamps instead.

Good idea.

Quote:

However, instead of the Burr Brown OPA2134, I am thinking of using the OPA2604 or OPA2228. Which of the two do you think would be the better choice? I'm thinking about installing a DIP socket so that I can try both, since I can probably get samples from TI for free.

Try also the OPA2227, OPA2107 and the 2604........ the NE5532 that's in it already isn't a bad sounding chip actually.... fit a dip 8 socket and have fun Rolling them all in.

Quote:

Also, finding Elna SILMIC and Cerafine caps has been quite difficult. Are there any readily available equuivalents or alternatives?

The cerafines are way too large for comfort, the best caps you can get for this application are the Panasonic FC 105C.... without equal, these are the best in the X-Can.....low ESR, high temp rating.... just what the doctor ordered.

Quote:

Im currently using JJ Electronics tubes, but I'm thinking about giving the Sovteks a try. I definitely can't justify buying Mullards.

Do try the 6H23N-EB, they're built like tanks and sound incredible in the X-Can, a BIG improvement over the Jan Philips.

Quote:

cn anyone recommend any other upgrades that haven't been suggested on Nick Dangerous' site and at the Rock Grotto?

Remove the input caps (the 10uF electrolytics) and jumper over the pads. Also increase the output caps capacitance from 220uF (the black non polar ones) to 470uF or 1000uf 16V non polars... makes a big improvement.

If I can think of anything else I'll pop back.

Edit: all of the V2 mods can be applied to the V1 just the same http://www.rock-grotto.co.uk/xcanpropage.htm

Feb 13, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #5 of 6
PinkFloyd, I plan to replace the pot for an ALPS, but do you really feel that I should be using the 10kOhm resistor instead of the 50kOhm? The volume is already quite loud when the volume is 1/3 of the way up. Won't I just be increasing the volume by decreasing the resistance?

Feb 27, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Before the mod.

Top and bottom boards after replacing caps with Panny FC caps and adding sockets for the opamps.

OPA2228 Opamps installed. I also have some 2227s and 2134s that I'll try once everything burns in.

All back together.

Next I'll replace the pot (once I can find an ALPS replacement), add a black aluminum volume knob, and change the LED to a blue one.

I'm also planning to change out the tube sockets with some ceramic gold sockets and maybe replace the resistors with some Vishay-Dale resistors.

The biggest improvement is that the amp is absolutely quiet with no signal and the volume all the way up. The dynamic range of the amp has improved, but drums seem to end with a "clack" now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back