X-can v3
Dec 9, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #16 of 34
I'd just like to add the v2 was not particularly a bad combo with the CD3000, but nor was it a great amp either in stock form. The v3 seems to have a much better sound in just about any respect you can imagine, although some may still find it bright with the stock tubes, I actually like a forward, upfront sound, but indeed it is excellent with the CD3000.

Dec 24, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #17 of 34
Scriberex, when you changed to the mullards, did you notice any difference in the level of the output volume?

Do you know a good place to get those tubes in the U.K?

How much should I expect to pay for them?

Are there any modern cheep equivalents of the same tubes?

Dec 26, 2003 at 1:21 AM Post #18 of 34
Hi Rapidone,

I did not notice any difference in output volume.

I bought my tubes in Singapore.

The below link mentions that you can get a very closely matched pair of Mullard E88CC's from Sean Redshaw at Highendaudio.co.uk. They are NOS (new old stock) and he charges £30 for the pair. He can be contacted at sean@highendaudio.co.uk

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=JJ+Electronic

There are 2 versions of E88CC - CV2492 and CV2493. The seller in Singapore suggested the CV2493 which was supposed to be less subject to vibrations, but more expensive. (But when I was tube rolling, I noticed that there are rubber vibration dampeners in the X-can v3 anyway, so I guess the CV2492 be just as good.

Funny enough, I saw another article specifically criticising the CV2493 for ringing problems, but I have not encountered it.
http://www.soundstage.com/tubeor/tube2.htm

If Higendaudio.co.uk don't work out, check out the sticky below for some leads for other UK tube stores.
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=20676

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Scriberex

Dec 26, 2003 at 3:07 PM Post #19 of 34
Thankyou for the info scriberex, I’ve sent an email off to hiendaudio requesting prices on their tubes.

I don’t think vibration ringing will be a problem for me, since I live in a house with very solid floors and use a very heavy, sturdy steel frame and glass table for my hi-fi, so perhaps the CV2492 is worth considering.

When I get any new tubes I will be sure post my impressions of them.

Dec 26, 2003 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 34
I have only listen to (I had them for a few weeks) the X-Can v2 with upgraded tubes and power supply. I felt at the time that it sounded great with the HD580 and HD600 and not so hot with everything else (Grado and AKG).

So I strongly suggest that you upgrade the tubes and look into getting the HD580 or HD600 (both of which can be had on the cheap nowadays) or even a HD650.

Dec 27, 2003 at 11:33 AM Post #21 of 34
I bought a pair of matched Mullard E88CC's from Sean Redshaw at Highendaudio.co.uk after PinkFloyd recommended the place. The service was superb - Sean was really helpful and the packaging they use for the valves is first class.

BTW, Pinkie seems not to be around much these days - or am I just reading the wrong threads?

Hello...

Dec 27, 2003 at 2:46 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Alick
I bought a pair of matched Mullard E88CC's from Sean Redshaw at Highendaudio.co.uk after PinkFloyd recommended the place. The service was superb - Sean was really helpful and the packaging they use for the valves is first class.

BTW, Pinkie seems not to be around much these days - or am I just reading the wrong threads?

Hello...

Helloooooooooooo......... I'm here :) Rock on Mullard!

Jan 18, 2004 at 10:13 PM Post #24 of 34
Ok, I finally got a pair of Electro Harmonics tubes for the x-can V3. What a huge difference in sound there is from the stock tubes. The treble is much less prominent, symbols now sound, as they should instead of like white noise. There is noticeably more bass than before.

The down side is that the overall sound is less detailed and a little less refined.

The output volume seems to be slightly lower than before, or perhaps I’m comfortable listening at higher volume now that the treble is no longer a problem.

Overall I’m now quite pleased with the sound of the V3, it’s definitely more balanced. Perhaps I’ll try the mullards and other tubes at a later date, but I doubt that the stock tubes will ever be used again.

Jan 18, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #25 of 34
nm :)

Jan 19, 2004 at 12:59 AM Post #26 of 34
I just picked up one of these x-cans v3s this week and am very happy with music I'm hearing (better than the headphone socket on my CDP I think I'd describe it as neutral and spacious... I am hearing things I've not heard before, like foot pedals in piano pieces and instruments in positions around my head I hadn't noticed before... (I don't know what the 'audiophile' term for that is).

I have a couple of queries...

1. When switiching on the amp there is a noticeable "ffff-t" sound in each ear, one after the other, I am guessing this has something to do with the tubes can anyone confirm this is normal?

2. The volume dial seems counterintuative. If I take the db symbol at the top to be 0, minimum volume - the markers on the knob read infinity (squiggly figure eight symbol), and as I raise the volume (turning the vol knob to the right) the numbers decrease from 70 to 0... Is there something curious about the db scale I'm missing? I thought the db numbers would go up with the volume increase... please go easy on me - I know almost nothing about the physics of sound! :)

3. Last question I promise... I've read somewhere it's not good to remove the headphones from a tube amp (powered up) - is this true for an amp like the x-can v3, or can I just switch the vol down to swap headphones)?

Cheers

Jan 19, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #27 of 34
I agree the volume knob is counter-intuitive.

The instructions that come with the V3 don’t help either; they say you should set the volume to zero before switching on.

Perhaps they will reword this after they have been sued for creating hearing damage.

Jan 19, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #28 of 34
for volume controls, the dB scale reads negative, zero, then a few past it. It's basically how much the input signal is attenuated before going into the gain stage... as long as it's going clockwise, it's not really that hard
rolleyes.gif

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back