X-Can V3 vs. Gilmore Lite for sennheiser hd 650
May 21, 2007 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Violinboy123

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm trying to decide between the X-Can V3 and the Gilmore lite for my new Sennheiser HD 650s. I listen to strictly classical music. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

May 22, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 7
I've only owned the X-Can, but would recommend the Gilmore for classical music. I thought the X-Can (tried with stock and Russian 6H23 tubes) was a bit rolled off in the high frequencies, while the Gilmore is usually described as linear with an 'airy' treble extension.

The X-Can V3 also had relatively rounded transients and soft attacks compared to other amps I've owned. I thought it was great for smoothing out vocals and jazzy tracks but it's probably not the best choice for string or wind instruments.

May 22, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #3 of 7
I have the X-Can V3 as well. Granted mine is fully modded a la PinkFloyd inlcuding one of his Little Pinkie power supplies. I am running a russian 6NP1-EB and the V3 is just fantastic! The highs are crystal clear, with great clarity and detail. Love the V3.

May 22, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only owned the X-Can, but would recommend the Gilmore for classical music. I thought the X-Can (tried with stock and Russian 6H23 tubes) was a bit rolled off in the high frequencies, while the Gilmore is usually described as linear with an 'airy' treble extension.

The X-Can V3 also had relatively rounded transients and soft attacks compared to other amps I've owned. I thought it was great for smoothing out vocals and jazzy tracks but it's probably not the best choice for string or wind instruments.

I used to love the 6H23-EB until I tried the 6NP1-EB. Also get a better PSU, the 0.5 Amps provided by the stock wall wart runs out of steam on busy/complex passages at high volume. Finally mod the heck out of it.
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 22, 2007 at 11:25 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyorange /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Strange, I find the X-Can v3 with HD650 absolute heaven for classical music. The timbre of the instruments is just lovely with this combo. Maybe it's even better at classical than my HE60...

I have not heard the Gilmore either, and although Gilmores are said to be bright, the X-Can v3 is not rolled off in the high frequencies at all. The highs are smooth and don't sting, but they're not rolled off IMHO.

May 22, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange, I find the X-Can v3 with HD650 absolute heaven for classical music. The timbre of the instruments is just lovely with this combo. Maybe it's even better at classical than my HE60...

I have not heard the Gilmore either, and although Gilmores are said to be bright, the X-Can v3 is not rolled off in the high frequencies at all. The highs are smooth and don't sting, but they're not rolled off IMHO.

No question... with the right setup, tubes, phones, etc. - the XCAN v3 is most certainly bright and detailed - enough so to brighten the Senns.

But... with the 6H23N-EB the highs are a bit more rolled off - not so, with other tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back