X-Can V3: tube roll or Pinkfloyd mod - which first?
Aug 25, 2006 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MayorSimpleton

100+ Head-Fier
Simple as that really - which should I try first?

I'm leaning toward doing the tubes first as it's easier and cheaper, and because Pinkfloyd mentions on his (currently down?) site that he does not like the stock tubes - but I'd like to know what you guys think would give me the biggest hit in terms of sound quality.

The other question really would be [ noob alert, confused about tubes ] which tubes would you recommend? There seems to be hundreds of variants on the 6H23 / 6N23 /6XXX theme, either with or without the EB suffix! Which should I get - or are there other even better? I'd like new tubes to smooth out the highs on my DT880 and MS2's, both of which hint a brightness occasionally. To me anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Pluck

Aug 25, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt-Pluck
Simple as that really - which should I try first?

I'm leaning toward doing the tubes first as it's easier and cheaper, and because Pinkfloyd mentions on his (currently down?) site that he does not like the stock tubes - but I'd like to know what you guys think would give me the biggest hit in terms of sound quality.

The other question really would be [ noob alert, confused about tubes ] which tubes would you recommend? There seems to be hundreds of variants on the 6H23 / 6N23 /6XXX theme, either with or without the EB suffix! Which should I get - or are there other even better? I'd like new tubes to smooth out the highs on my DT880 and MS2's, both of which hint a brightness occasionally. To me anyway.

Thanks in advance,

Pluck

Pinks mod improves the speed, slam, sound quality and lowers the noise floor overall while tube rolling changes tonal aspects of the sound

Both are needed!(imo).
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back