X-Can V3 - is it an upgrade from ASUS Xonar STX ??
Apr 10, 2010 at 6:34 AM Post #31 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemalter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zac,

I have an X-Can V3 and while it was mated with an HD650, it had a lot of punch, or impact. And, I am currently using it with an HD800 with really great effect.

Have you thought about using an offboard DAC since the Asus has a COAX output that supports 192KHz. Especially since you are using FLAC as your source you could have some really great hi-rez music and wonderful sound if you use your computer simply as a digital source.

Thoughts?

Mike, basically my aim was to have a full headphone rig starting from scratch for under $1500AUD. I am on track with the 650s, STX, V3, Cardas and some HQ RCA cables. After the new PSU and Mods, I will be just on budget.

Because the HD 800's alone are more than my current rig budget (about $2000AUD), I am going to wait until I can afford a balanced pair of them before I go the extra step of an external DAC etc (which, after trialling the 800s, I believe they obviously deserve).

Cheers

Apr 10, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #32 of 41
Please let me know how these mods improve the V3. Are you doing it yourself or sending them away to be done. My amp and PSU does nothing in the cupboard at the moment as they have been superceded and I have been thinking about these mods. I'm from Sydney by the way and understand how difficult it is to hear things for yourself.

Cheers.

Apr 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have this amp along with its V3 psu. I liked it alot when it was my only amp. Then I heard a Lehmann rhinelander amp. The problem with the stock v3 is the indistinct - smudgy bass with no sub-bass extension. The extreme treble is also slightly rolled off and the details are slightly masked. The sound is not at smooth as others and I consider it slightly grained. When cranked up loud for the occassional fun the sound hardens up and compresses.

However it is slightly forward in signature and mates well with the 650. The tubes add a touch of magic and it is not unpleasant overall. I have never heard it modded but I know there are better amps out there for the price - ss or tubed.

That's similar to what this old review has to say about the v3.
CameraHobby - Musical Fidelity X-Can v3 Headphone Amp Review

Quote:

Originally Posted by old review
Listening to in-your-face rock such as Prodigy and Blur, the X-Can certainly threw it in your face, or rather your ears, but, I do have to admit that the DAC-1 provided deeper and tighter bass extension. The highs are a bit more open and extended, but with groups like Prodigy and Blur liking fuzzed out guitars, all that means is that guitar solos screech like white noise, which is not very pleasant. The X-Can was more forgiving of those distortion generators in the highs, but overall, I didn’t feel that the X-Can was holding back much of anything.

The gestalt (good God, I’m writing like Harry Pearson) of the X-Can’s presentation was more to my liking and while the X-Can’s errors are of very minor omission, it gives back to the listener a quality of sound not present in the solid-state amps I have in-house. Through the X-Can everything from hard rock, to pop, to Celtic influenced Loreena McKennit, to symphonies, had greater presence. Reverting back to the DAC-1 may have gotten me bit more bass extension and definition, but it became flat sounding due to the lost of the presence and quality.

About my only negative with the X-Can is that as the volume goes up, the high frequencies tend to harden up and makes for a less enjoyable listening experience. But then, one really shouldn’t be listening through headphones at such volume levels if you want to preserve your long-term hearing.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #34 of 41
That's the problems with reading popular reviews - Its all praises - whereas here it's down to the nitty gritty. I am somewhat wary of MF now and did not go again with their V8 when it was released. A lot of these Chinese alternatives - whether SS or pure valve - will give significantly more bang for buck and probably better reliability to boot.

Apr 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #35 of 41
I owned the X-Can V3 for a couple of years and its sound improve a lot after I performed the PinkFloyd mods and added a Little Pinkie PSU. I also concurrently owned the X-Can V2 also with the PinkFloyd mods and a Little Pinkie PSU (still own it). Although the V3 was the more correct and proper sounding I kept the V2 since it was/is more fun to listen to.

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #36 of 41
I have frequented the Rock Grotto forums (not as a member) of which you are a prominent member. I have purchased the Jaycar headphone amp kit and everything to build - it... That was last year and I still haven't opened the packages. Have always wondered how comparable is the modified V3 compared to top level head-amps? I would value your input greatly. Cheers.

Apr 11, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #37 of 41
SP_Wild the modded Jaycar is a killer amp, I had one built by Alex (SandyK) and man is is sweet sounding. I do not have my modded V3 anymore so I can not compare them. Here is a pic of the modded Jaycar amp that Alex built for me.

Apr 12, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #38 of 41
Time to pick up my soldering Iron (soldering fat car wiring looms is very different to circuit boards) and do some serious damage. Looks fantastic (what's that third circuit board?) Cheers.

Apr 14, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #40 of 41
I got a Pinkie PSU v3i today. Too bad my outboard DAC is broken, it kind of ruins the comparison to use a headphone out of a mac laptop...

pinkiev3i.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back