X-Can V3, Gilmore Lite or Hornet?
Dec 3, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #16 of 42
I used to have an X-Can V3 that I used in conjunction with the X-DAC, X-10 V3 and the X-PSU. I used this with my HD650's and the stock cable. I personally thought that the X-Can V3 was too thin sounding and lacking in dynamics, and that it wasn't "warm" as some people have said. After reading what I consider to be reviews filled with hype on a few websites, I was expecting the X-Can V3 to be richer and fuller sounding than it turned out to be to my ears. To me, with the HD650's, the X-Can V3 with all these add-ons produced decent-sounding music with no clear flaws, but it just wasn't involving enough for me.

Dec 3, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #17 of 42
Mind if I ask how you selected the Hornet as the portable representative over the SR71, LaRocco PR II, etc.?

Dec 3, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #19 of 42
To summarize ... EdipisReks offered the following:

Quote:

i think it's basically a was between the Gilmore Lite and the X-Can V3. it really comes down to what kind of sound you want. the Gilmore Lite is going to be very linear, very fast and tight, and pretty nuetral, whereas the X-Can V3 is going to be a bit less linear, and be just a little "mushy" (with stock tubes, in my experience) but will have a warmer, more musical sound. either will drive and control the headphones well.

Dec 4, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Mind if I ask how you selected the Hornet as the portable representative over the SR71, LaRocco PR II, etc.?

The reasons why I preferred the Hornet over the SR-71:
- Hornet has a gain switch (I will use this both with HD-580 and E4)
- Hornet is more portable
- Hornet has greater battery life
- Hornet is less expensive
and Hornet seems to have a great synergy with HD580/6X0 series and E4

I admit I haven't considered the LaRocco PR II, and I have few questions about this amp:
- is it already available? (I read on the website it is to be announced)
- extimated price
- are there info about its sound and synergies?

Dec 4, 2005 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by IronLion
I personally thought that the X-Can V3 was too thin sounding and lacking in dynamics, and that it wasn't "warm" as some people have said.

Just out of interest how long did you have your V3 for? I noticed that mine was pretty "thin" sounding fresh from the box (so much so that I thought the V2 sounded a lot better) However.............. After 4 weeks of the amp being powered up continuously the sound has now filled out nicely and there is definitely more punch and dynamism.

When you consider there's 18,500uF of capacitance on board and a couple of valves it's probably a good idea to give the amp a good few weeks burn in before fully evaluating it. The stock JAN philips 6922 valves sound great in my V3 but I know, from past experience, that the 6922 may not sound great in "every" X-Can...... the 6922's are NOS and it would appear that MF just randomly fit them into the V2 from a big pallete of NOS 6922's which have probably been kicking around for donkeys years..... every 6922 I have seen in V2 / V3 has tarnished pins (oxidisation and gunge formed over the years) and these are just plugged into the amp holus bolus at the factory.

A few people have reported "hissing", "crackling", "thin sound" etc. from one or both channels of the "V2" and it's amazing how this can be rectified (95% of the time) by simply removing the valves (tubes) and giving the pins a damned good clean to improve the contact. You can also roll in different valves to "tweak" the sound which has got to be a plus point... you're not stuck with the JAN philips house sound, you can experiment with all different flavours of valve and can tune the sound to your liking
smily_headphones1.gif
so, the V3 can be considered a versatile amp with lots of room for tweaking the sound....

Dec 6, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by canhead
Just curious has anyone ever tried the X-can v3 with a pair of akg 501s? If so how was the sound?

I haven't tried this combo in a long time, but it sounded thin and lifeless to me. I had to turn to 1'o clock to get decent volume. Either that or maybe I don't like the AKG sound but I think it could have sound better with all the hype around it.

I think I'll try it today
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 8, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #23 of 42
I've gone to a local store and they said me that the X-Can V3 won't be available before February 06 (remember I live in Italy)... and the price wiil be 480 EUR!!!
Is there any web store which sells the X-Can V3 and ships overseas?

Dec 8, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
I haven't tried this combo in a long time, but it sounded thin and lifeless to me. I had to turn to 1'o clock to get decent volume. Either that or maybe I don't like the AKG sound but I think it could have sound better with all the hype around it.

I think I'll try it today
very_evil_smiley.gif

I take back what I said. Tried the AKG 501 yesterday night (after 1/2 year of non usage) with various orchrestral cds (namely Alien 3 OST). Sounded fantastic with material with alot of dynamics and full scale. But it is difficult to run, I need to turn my knob to 22. I believe my previous setup was too harsh making the AKG sound bad in my previous experience. The bass has increased
basshead.gif
but the highs are rolled off like the HD 595
confused.gif

This was quite different from my initial experience (after 200 hours of burn in), where the highs were thrill and the bass was lacking. There was less noise floor though
smily_headphones1.gif

However there is no distortion, not that I could hear anway. So the AKG 501 seems like a good match for the XCan. But I believe the AKG 701 will be more efficient to drive based on what I've read

Dec 10, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
OMG, the panasonic FCs came in today. Just fitted them in, the 3300uF fits in nicely, but I don't think I can fit them in place of the 1000uF.

Burning them in soon. Its raining now :p

Let us know the results
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back